Display Brightness - Penryn MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by korpanopoly, Mar 13, 2008.

1. korpanopoly macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have tried searching these forums for an answer to my question, but have been unsuccessful in my search.

Per the title of this post, I have a base-model MBP (glossy screen) which was delivered last week.

My question relates to adjusting the brightness of the display. Specifically, I notice that I need to increase the brightness of the display virtually to the max to get a nice, vibrant picture.

Is this standard / normal? I have read posts where other say that the higher brigntness setting on thir MBP are too bright and over-saturated. This is definitely not the case for me.

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. ArkabaS macrumors member

ArkabaS

Check out my recent post http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=453513. I just got my 2nd Penryn 15.4" 2.4 GHz MBP and the screen is noticeably dimmer than my 1st Penryn. While max brightness still hurts my eyes a bit, it is nowhere near as bright as the first MBP. With this one, I use one or two notches below maximum. On the old one, I used half or 2/3 notches.

3. korpanopoly thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

Thank you for the reply, ArkabaS.

That is very interesting - I did not realize that there could be differing brightness levels between MBP displays - kinda odd if you ask me.

I have heard that there is a way to increase the brightness even further (I don't know how though). Is this true?

Thanks.

4. weckart macrumors 68040

Maximum brightness can be regulated on some laptops by the BIOS/Firmware. The eeePC, for example, has an LED backlit screen adjusted to half its maximum brightness and the BIOS can be hacked to increase it. I doubt if that is the case with MBPs given how bright my SR MBP gets.

5. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Brightness level is a personal preference thing. Some people like to use their laptops with a brightness a few levels below the highest. Personally I never use mine at anything other than max brightness. I would never lower it unless I was on battery and trying to conserve power.

6. ArkabaS macrumors member

ArkabaS

korpanopoly,

I noticed something else. On this new MBP, I only have 4 total ColorSync profiles pre-installed. On the old MBP, I had at least 10. Definitely a different LCD panel...

Edit: Never mind, I think that was due to me installing Adobe CS 3 on the other MBP