display calibration, my test image

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TheGenerous, Mar 29, 2012.

1. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I've calibrated my display — as an amateur — with some images for that purpose.

I'm looking at this photograph in an iPad, two different generation MacBooks, and my display. They look so different from what I saw in the display.The images are different.

Please tell me wich photograph looks better to you and if you used a display or other.

click for full
    [​IMG]

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

A) is the more accurate rendition I think...the second looks a little on the washed out side, but not dramatically so. Viewed on my iMac 27"

3. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

You cannot test color accuracy by asking which image looks better. If the image you test it with has ****** colors, then an accurately calibrated monitor should display that image with ****** colors.

4. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

B looks better to me...A looks a bit overdone...but oreo is right, you really need to use a screen calibration device..such as a spyder to ensure your monitor is right.

I know its not as much fun spending £££ on monitor calibrators when there are new exciting lenses and cameras to buy...but if you want your colours to be right you gotta bite the bullet...

That said its not impossible to eyeball it, I've seen Amy dresser say she just calibrates her screen by eyeballing it....then again she is one of the worlds top retouchers....most of us arnt :(

5. chrfr macrumors 603

It's also impossible to do a useful visual calibration with an image with one color in it.

6. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

A looks better to me.

I recently bought a Spyder Monitor Calibrator from B&H since the only way you are going to get a truly accurate is with a hardware device. After calibrating it, it gave me an analysis showing that the closest default setting was sRGB. It was about 2-4% difference between my calibration and the settings from sRGB