Display calibration turns blues to purple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AquaMethod, Sep 4, 2008.

1. AquaMethod macrumors member

I recently purchased a ColorVision Spyder 2 to calibrate my MacBook Pro display (I have the 9C83 panel). The results were wonderful—everything seemed to improve colorwise. There is one exception, though: in applications that use ColorSync (Safari, iPhoto, etc.) blues turn purple. Not just a purpleish-shade of blue—purple. The easiest way to see this is by opening a color picker, such as the one in Pages or Adium. Using the RGB sliders to choose a perfect blue—255—it's easy to see that it's purple. Other interface elements changed, too: blue menus, such as when you organize bookmarks in Safari, become purple.

I found a long thread about the issue here, but no conclusion seems to be reached. It looks like the color spectrum created by these hardware profilers puts blue very far away from the sRGB blue, causing an adjustment to purple.

A lot of people here use calibration tools on their MacBook Pros—has anyone else seen this? And you if have, is there a workaround?

2. Cadium macrumors member

I have not had any issues with calibrated color profiles for my MacBook Pro's display (which has a 9C67 panel). Try calibrating the display a few times to find the absolute best result, or try one of the profiles that have been posted to the board (just perform a search for "MacBook Pro color profile".

Good luck!

3. AquaMethod thread starter macrumors member

I've tried several times, but I always get the same result. While there are some nice profiles on the forums, nothing beats calibrating your particular display and adjusting for its quirks. I'm just curious if others have noticed this.

4. JoeyBootz macrumors newbie

I have the same exact problem. Blue thinks it's purple. Or is purple pretending to be blue. Either way...it's broken.

I assumed it was because I used a cheap calibrator, the Pantone Huey that they sell at the Apple store.

Everything on screen looks great. The Photoshop icon is the right colour of blue. Skys are blue. The finder icon is blue. But it's only in Photoshop and few other colour managed apps where it goes screwy.

5. mynah macrumors newbie

I'm also having this problem. I bought my 2.5 Penryn in November '08, and I only started noticing the problem when I tried to edit photos on my mbp instead of using the cinema display. I can open Photoshop, select 255 blue, and I get bright purple. The other colors are all off, too, only to a lesser extent.

I'm a photographer, and I HAVE to be able to edit photos on the go sometimes, and this is driving me crazy. I've tried tons of downloaded profiles and have calibrated with both Color Eyes Pro and Eye One Match. NOTHING fixes it.

My screen is a 9C83 (Samsung). I've read dozens of threads on this on photography and design forums, but no one can come up with a solution it seems.

Is there anything I can do? Is this considered enough of a flaw to have Apple fix it? I don't even know what they'd say at the Genius Bar. They'd probably just tell me I'm calibrating incorrectly.