Display compatible with old and new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigcat, Jan 18, 2017.

1. bigcat macrumors 6502

I currently have a mid-2014 rMBP (15"), and I am planning on upgrading to the 2nd gen of the new 15"MBP when it comes out later this year or next. However, I need to purchase a monitor now. I am really confused reading about ports/adapters/etc.

If I go with the 5K LG endorsed by Apple, will my 2014 machine be able to drive it? I've also considered getting the discontinued Apple Thunderbolt display, but will it work with the new MBP?

Or is there any other screen you'd recommend? I like the 27" size. One thing I like about the Thunderbolt display are the built in ports for ethernet, etc, but then again, will those work if connected to the new MBP?

2. bigcat thread starter macrumors 6502

3. bringbackjobs, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017

bringbackjobs macrumors newbie

No single cable on an older machine with drive a 5K monitor. You should be able to do at least one 4K monitor and using a usb c hub connect directly for one laptop and through hdmi or mini displayport on the other.

Maybe this at 4K would do....
    http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27...mXTDHv6uUHfirCGd3kRxzbCFrNFZEGIOopRoCs-vw_wcB

it has hdmi, displayport and usb c... but not 5K. Just find this combo of features at 5K. Google a bit more than I did for 'usb c monitors'.