Display connection options - mini DisplayPort

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Tipster, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Tipster macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm new to Mac but already loving my new Macbook Air (mid 2011). I will be taking it along to all kinds of meetings to present slides.

Now, it would be great to be able to hook it up to other Displays in order to present the slides on a bigger screen. Some people I visit will have Macs, some PCs and some TVs.

I have a fair idea about the connection ports for TVs, Windows Displays etc, but what about Mac? For the people I meet who are on Mac (some may have brand new Displays, some quite a bit older Displays) what adapter do I need?

Basically, it seems I'll need a kitbag with a variety of adapters to output onto larger Displays, so any guidance appreciated. Especially for the Mac Displays (new and old) - what mini-DisplayPort adapters would I need to cover all (most) bases?

Thanks

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

You just need the proper adapter, the OS will do the rest. Just make sure you have the right adapter...so most older displays and projectors are VGA...most modern displays are DVI, Mini Display or HDMI. Sadly display connections are kinda fragmented. So if you need it for many occasions you will have to buy adapters for all different plugs. I have a DVI adapter and it outputs nicely to the displays native resolution and allows you to use the MBA's display as a second display.

3. Tipster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, spot on - the question was really about the adapters, I didn't know what connections older and newer Mac displays had. Great info !

4. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Check out http://monoprice.com

You should be able to pick up every adapter you might ever need for a few dollars each.