Display connector spec for MBP 3,1 "Santa Rosa" A1226

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Qaanol, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

I have a mid-2007 15.4″ MBP 3,1 “Santa Rosa” A1226 (2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD) and the internal display has stopped working (shows blue all the time, I tried replacing the LVDS cable, nothing changed.)

It still handles video-out to an external display just fine, so I believe the integrated graphics chip is functional (it had previously received an out-of-warranty free motherboard replacement after the original GPU failed.)

I am looking to replace the internal display, and I want to know how to find a screen that is compatible. In particular, I’m trying to find out what spec to look for in the connector so it will be compatible, and whether I’ll need a different LVDS cable.

I want a 1920×1200 screen (preferably IPS, as the original 1440×900 screen is), and ideally it should work with the LED backlight on the laptop.

Do you know what display spec to look for that will ensure connectivity with my A1226 Santa Rosa 15.4″ MBP?

Or do you know some good 1920×1200 displays that will work?

Thanks in advance, I’d really like to get this working as a laptop again, because right now it’s relegated to deskbound duty.

For what it’s worth, the LVDS cable for my machine is here (click the “Santa Rosa” radio button), Apple Part # 922-7197, Manufacturer Part # 593-0204, UPC 610708414339, SKU GS55071. Does it conform to some standard spec at one or both ends, and if so how do I find other displays that accept the connector?

2. joshhedge, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

joshhedge macrumors regular

Edit: what GPU does your MBP have? Check the maximum display resolution that it can handle.

3. Qaanol thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeForce 8600M GT, 16× PCIe Lane Width, 128 MB of VRAM.

I don’t know its max resolution, but it has handled both the internal 1440×900 plus an external 1920×1200 simultaneously on extended desktop mode in the past with no issues, so I’m not concerned about driving the pixels.

I primarily want to know what screen I can get that will work with the connectors and backlight that my laptop uses (and how to check if a given screen will work, and whether I’ll need a different LVDS cable.)

4. joshhedge macrumors regular

I would personally play it safe and take the laptop to an authorised Apple service centre. I can't see you getting a different, other than stock, display to work in the laptop.

5. Qaanol thread starter macrumors 6502a

I appreciate your concern, but this is something I want to do.

And to do it, I want to know how to find the parts I need. Namely, how to find out if a given display will physically connect to the LVDS cable that comes with my machine; and/or how to find a cable that will connect a given display to my computer.

Right now, I do not know the names of internal display connector types, so I do not know what to search for. If I knew those names, and if I knew what type of connector my GPU and/or LVDS cable uses, then I could find a compatible display.

So my question is, what are the names of the display connectors found at each end of my LVDS cable?

6. grizfish macrumors newbie

It could be easier to find a display that fits your needs and is the correct size physically to fit your laptop. Then approach the connector interface problem after you choose a piece of hardware.