display data cable problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by playitlouder, May 2, 2011.

1. playitlouder macrumors newbie

I have a black 13" macbook that I got in 2008.
    About two months ago, I started having problems with the screen. The backlight would just randomly die. At first I could get it to come back on by turning the brightness settings all the way down and then back up, or by putting it to sleep and waking it up again, or restarting. Over the course of about 1-2 weeks it got progressively worse to the point where I can only have the brightness turned up one notch, so it's at the very dimmest setting (without being totally black) and even then the backlight occasionally dies. From what I've read (and this may be incorrect) I believe that it's the display data cable that's dying.
    I started using an external monitor because I didn't want to deal with repairs and such right in the middle of the semester (I'm a college student and need my laptop for school), but now that the semester is just about over though I'm starting to consider getting it repaired.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how easy/difficult a fix that would be. Like if I brought it to an apple store (nearest one is more than an hour away from here, so it's a bit inconvenient), or to my campus computer store (which specializes in macs, and I ordered my laptop through them in the first place), would they be able to fix it there the same day? Or is it something they would have to send it away to fix?
    Also, what are the costs associated with repairs like this?

Any helpful suggestions or answers would be very much appreciated! :)

2. eman, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

eman macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you need an inverter and you can find them on ebay here.
    You can find macbook disassembly instruction at ifixit.com

3. playitlouder thread starter macrumors newbie

So you don't think it is the display data cable? I don't know much of anything about this stuff, so if it's a broken inverter that would cause these problems I'll try that instead.

Whatever needs to be replaced, I'm sure my dad or brother could replace it with proper instructions, I just don't want to waste money on the wrong part.. but at the moment I'm not near an apple store or my campus's IT center (which is very good with macs) to get a diagnosis.

I'm kind of surprised it still works on the lowest brightness setting (and has for over a month now), because it seemed like it was dying pretty quickly. The backlight goes out completely when I set down the machine on a hard surface, jolt it too much, or touch the sides of the screen in certain places, but it will come back on when I turn the brightness all the way down and then back up to the first notch again, and it stays on as long as I don't move it too much. Any setting higher than that though, and it will go right out again.

4. eman macrumors 6502a

The inverters job is to bring light to the screen. If the inverter cable (pre inverter) is being pinched, the lcd light will/can go out when you move (open and close) the macbook lid. Trouble with the lcd light staying bright/flickering sounds like a failing inverter.

5. playitlouder thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thank you for explaining! I'm going to order a new inverter and a new inverter cable (since the cable is pretty inexpensive I figure I might as well replace both things at once) and have my dad try replacing them (he doesn't normally work with macs but he has a bit of experience taking apart PCs that might help). Sounds like the most difficult part of the procedure is detaching the screen to get to the inverter/cables without breaking anything.