Display dead after 10.7.1 update!!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by A.R., Aug 23, 2011.

1. A.R. macrumors newbie

Earlier today I updated my MacBook pro 3,1 to software 10.7.1 when it restarted, the screen was off!!!
    I tried everything ( restarting , connect to an external screen , pressing fn with f7 keys ) nothing worked. I used iteleport to connect to my Mac, it connected and I could see my desktop, I went to system profiler and showed that I don't have a graphics card or display connected !!!
    What did that update do????
    How can I get my display back?
    Please help me

2. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

Why do you think the update is responsible for an apparent video card failure? Millions of users have applied the update without the adverse effects you describe. More likely than not, the update is just as responsible for your situation as the tomato salad you ate a few hours before updating.

Perhaps you should take your computer to an official Apple service.

3. Blipp macrumors 6502

Correlation does not imply causation. Do you have anything else that points to the update being the trigger? I haven't seen a single other report of 10.7.1 breaking displays.

4. kolax macrumors G3

The Nvidia 8600GT graphics card is a ticking time bomb waiting to fail.

During OS X updates, there can be heat generated (usually hear the fans come on at times) from the CPU. Perhaps this was the final touch needed to cause the GPU to fail.

Apple offered an extended warranty since the graphics card is a known faulty part. Whether you are still covered by that extended warranty you'll need to find out, but I think they'd honour it still if it was even a couple of months out, given the high probability for that part failing.

5. ZipZap macrumors 601

Do you have an SL recovery CD or USB and can try to boot from it? Fastest way to know if its Lion.

6. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

If it's the model im thinking about I believe your issue is just the nvidia failure. If the machine is a 2.2/2.4 or early 2008 model this is a known issue with a repair extension program for it.

7. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

The first thing I'd verify is whether the screen even illuminates at all. If the display isn't even flickering in the moments before OS X Lion loads, it's definitely not Lion's fault. You should at very least see some grey.

Sounds like a potential hardware failure. As the others suggested, see if Apple will do an RMA on the video card or the machine itself.