Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holy MAC!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2003
ok... i have an odd problem with my display that happened briefly a while ago, but stopped. Now it appears as if it's back....

what is it:
like a row of dead pixels... except i can see some color information from it..... and it's a single-pixel row.

the problem has occurred before, but it's gone away mysteriously.....

i tried taking a screenshot, but the line does' show, so i know it has to do with the display.

i have a 17 inch studio display.

i don't think it's all dead pixels because they are in a perfect row spanning the width of the screen...

have any of you also had this problem before? got any suggestions?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
that sounds like a return/repair

I have one dead pixel on my 17" Apple LCD.... I cant give you any advice accept take it in and have it looked at

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
My guess is that this is a problem with the video cable, since it's intermittent i doubt if it's a hardware issue more serious than that. You can either live with it, or take it in if you're under warranty-- Apple should gladly fix this for you... A few dead pixels are normal, a whole line is unacceptable.

If Apple gives you trouble, just calmly assert that you have rights under your warranty and that they need to fix this problem by it's terms. Don't threaten them or get abusive. Apple employees seem to be trained to give dead-pixel complaints the run-around, to minimize their costs...

pnw

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Yeah, don't say dead pixels. Say "weird lines", or something like that. If you bought it within the last year, you're still under warranty. If you bought it with a computer and AppleCare, you've got 3 years. If someone gives you the runaround, or is oblivious, find someone else.

Does sound like a cable problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.