display dents from factory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phyx, Dec 17, 2013.

1. phyx macrumors member

Hello everyone. I want to tell a story, my story of the late 2013 macbook pro 13 inch.

I ordere an 2013 late rmbp 13". had it for a few days and were very happy with it. after 4 days or so i wanted to dust of stuff on the display because it started to get greasy, and i noticed that one little dirt thingy won't get away from the screen and then i realized it was a small dent like a needle had punched a hole in the display screen. I went numb and thought to myself "how the hell did i do this?".

I called apple support up and told them my story. and said i don't know if this came from the factory like this, or if i did it. but i can't understand how i could have done it. They decided to send me a new laptop. It took about a week and when the new one finally came i opened it and went over the screen carefully to see if there were any dents on it. guess what?

The new mac had an identical dent but on another place of the display. On top of that it also had a scratch on the display near the isight camera. Now i'm waiting for the second replacement from Apple and I am actually a bit scared this computer will suffer from this problem as well.

2. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

3. phyx thread starter macrumors member

should you accept a hole in your display for a computer worth 1800$?
    When i do photo editing and go over the pictures the dent appears more like a dead pixel, the dent reflects the light so the area looks weird. I can't accept that, nor should anyone. So don't be condescending.

4. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

All you can do in a situation like this is keep exchanging until satisfied or cut your losses and get a refund.

Getting two with dents is incredibly poor quality control on Apples part but that is what we've all come to expect now from Apple isn't it? Cheap s*** put together by children in overworked conditions.

^ This coming from someone waiting for their 5th Haswell 15" rMBP.

5. Shmanky macrumors regular

6. laurihoefs, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Sounds like it is. There are two different issues in the linked threads though, one thread was over defective AR coating and other was about holes in the surface. There was at least one more thread about the AR coating coming off here. The 'exploding pixels' are actual holes on the glass surface.

To the OP: there have been reports of issues like this, but they are quite uncommon. Getting two defective panels in a row is really bad luck.

The issue Quu mentioned, is a different one: panel uniformity (partial tint, uneven luminance). The Retina panels, like all IPS panels, be they a-Si or IGZO, seem to suffer from a varying degree of uniformity issues.

The bottom line: returning will get you a panel, that will most likely be free of dents, but there's always a chance of receiving one with other defects. Having said that, I'd get a replacement for sure.

P.S. Before starting to go through some of the 'yellow tint' -threads, you might want to check out this: Retina display uniformity and tint. TL;DR: If you see any issues with bare eyes, you have them. If you don't see them, you don't have them.

Wish you luck for the replacement :)

7. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Absolutely not. Was just joking ;)

8. phyx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping i will get a complete laptop. Maybe it's the exploding pixel, but if it is then they can come from the factory already exploded which to me sounds like poor quality check. Never thought it would be such a hassle to get a complete mac.

On the other hand, Apple support as been very kind to me. I've been holding on for a computer the whole time so won't end up with none under the time they getting me a whole one.

9. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

My upcoming New Year's resolution is to try to stop being so negative about such things. So let me start early by offering some praise:

Kudos to Apple for their prompt investigation into the most recent death of the 15 year old boy factory worker.

Also, too, these Foxconn factory dormitories have all been fitted with suicide nets now. Right? So that would mean that they're now a stress-free work environment. Right?

We should all try to be fair. Does anyone really think it is fair to expect Apple to know the details of how a Macintosh is made?

10. double329 macrumors 6502

I went through similar thing. I bought new high end late 2013 15". When I got home, open it up and there it is… the dent at the bottom on the aluminum housing. It's a very small dent and can only be seen at the angle or feel by hand. I was like WTF??? I brought it back few days after to the Apple store where I bought it from. They exchanged me with brand new one without any question. I asked if I can inspect it at the store before I take off. They said sure, they recommended it. The blue shirt dude was there to help me with inspection and make sure I am happy and I was. :D

11. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

There is a also a compulsive disorder called "COAOCD" ~ AKA ~ "calling out an ocd". Like an annoying car alarm, for those annoying paranoid people with cheap cars parked illegally in my ally, that get towed away every morning before they go to work.

----------

Basic rule of thumb for those of you who like to spend big bucks, if you don't like what you feel and what you see, just send it back so those who don't care can get it from the refurb store, while you cry, others out there are being completely content and productive.

If you cry - at least be proactive and do your part, add products to the refurb line for those who can use the savings.

Community message...