Display device names instead of MAC Address

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LevMac, May 25, 2014.

1. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

Hey guys, I've looked around and couldn't find the answer
    When I open Airport Utility on my Mac or iPad, it shows devices that are connected to my network but shows the MAC Address and not the Device names?

I have gone in and changed the names of the devices under TCP/IP Settings and then into Client ID, but it still does not show the names :(

Help ?

2. brilliantthings macrumors 6502

3. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Where are you looking?

When I open Airport Utility and single click on my Time Capsule, the wireless client names are the device names, not MAC nor IP Addresses.

4. LevMac thread starter macrumors 6502

LevMac

Yes, looking in the same spot

I open Airport Utility and single click on my Time Capsule, but it shows Wireless Client's as MAC Addresses not names :(

5. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Looking in the same place, for my network, some devices show up with names, some with IP addresses, and some with MAC addresses! I haven't yet figured out any logical explanation, although I'm sure there is one...

I've got a variety of different devices (Macs, XP machine, Kindle, iPod Touch, Airplay speakers, Airport Expresses) so that probably has something to do with it.

6. LevMac thread starter macrumors 6502

LevMac

So no one else has figured this out?
    Has it got anything to do with making each device a static IP?

7. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

It seems the Airport Utility tends to display the device name (e.g. xxx-iphone.local) , if unable to do that, will fall back to the ip address. And MAC address should the last option.

If all your device display in MAC address, may be restart the TC can fix it.

P.S. static IP should make no difference.