Display died - following a failed SSD install - restarted a few days later

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mbhang, Apr 23, 2014.

1. mbhang macrumors newbie

All,

I tried an SSD Install using a SATA Y power splitter, and on reassembling everything, the display would just not come on.

This was on a mid 2011 Imac - 21.5" with 500 GB hard drive, and 4 GB memory.

The machine would appear to power on (chime) but nothing would show up on the display. The 4 tiny LEDs (obscured by the sound ribbon cable) appeared to be lighting up.

I removed the SSD, and put everything back together, display was still dead.

I obtained a Thunderbolt to DVI adapter, and connected it to an external monitor. I was surprised to see that the external monitor worked.

Was kind of resigned to use my Imac as a grotesque mac mini (and attempt to replace the LVDS cable and connector on the mainboard) - but surprisingly, I noticed a change in behavior a few days later. The white screen and Apple Logo would appear, but screen would turn black, and the external monitor would light up and display the apple welcome screen.

System information would only show the external monitor - it was as if the LCD did not exist.

Suddenly, everything has started working again. And it is working perfectly.

I did not know how to run the Hardware test (I tried multiple times, before I realized that I have to either have the DVD in, or install the tools) initially, but the test no longer reports any errors.

I am posting because I am totally flummoxed about what could have gone wrong - and why it corrected itself.

I was very gentle with the LCD removal, and I do not think I damaged any connectors.

Hoping some of the experts will have ideas about what could cause these symptoms.

Thank you for your time.

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Last week I swapped the optical drive with a SSD in a 2010 21.5" iMac, and after reassembly discovered that I had occasional intermittent horizontal sync problems. It would usually correct itself on a reboot and then run normally until again shut down.

My problem was traced to the large flat display-panel data cable not being fully seated in the socket. It is difficult to see what you are doing when reinstalling it and the connector is very small. I carefully unplugged it and reinserted it to insure it was fully seated. After reassembly, it worked fine and hasn't acted up again since.

Good luck with solving your problem as well ...

3. mbhang thread starter macrumors newbie

Display problem is back - orders LVDS cable - hope that fixes it

Display stopped working again - I hope it is the LVDS cable. If I look under magnifying glass, I think I see some damage - with a new cable ( which I ordered from ebay), I will have a reference to compare with.

My SSD install has turned out to be not so much fun.

4. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

It is a brave install :) Good luck with the new cable.

5. mbhang thread starter macrumors newbie

SOLVED -- It was the LVDS Cable (data cable)

I bought a new cable over ebay. Swapped it out with the one I had.

Also got the SSD kit from OWC - the power cable is good, the sata cable they supply as part of the kit is no good, you have to get a right handed elbow type sata connector (to go into the mainboard).

Everything is good now (except for the smudges I have left on my lcd).