Display differences between white and black ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by optimusp517, Mar 27, 2011.

1. optimusp517 macrumors member

optimusp517

So I'm up in the air between buying a white one or a black one. I want the white one, but I realized when I did some comparison side by side and I noticed the black version has a brighter display than the white version. I made sure that the brightness and any other settings were the same. I've compared it with a few different units at the store.

My question is does anyone else notice this could maybe a flaw or hiccup with the ones I saw?

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I'd chalk it up to optical illusion. A photo mounted on a white board will always seem duller than the same photo mounted on black.

3. optimusp517 thread starter macrumors member

optimusp517

Well I'm going to head down there and see if they have any in stock this morning and check it out again. I swear it can't be. I'm looking dead center into the picture, not focusing on the anything but the picture though.

4. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

as far as I know there is no difference in the screens used in the white & black iPads. But if you really want to be sure, take a piece o fblack construction paper or cloth and cut out a hole, then cover the white ipad boarder and see if the difference does not go away. My guess is that it will. Even if you are not focussing on the frame you are seeing it and it will effect how your brain interprets what you see.
    -spg

5. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

I've got one of each, while the quality is the same, the black border makes it look nicer overall. Obviously it's all about personal preference though.

6. xraytech macrumors 68030

Optical illusion, both screens are the same. That being said you still have to decide between White or Black. What will you be using it for?

I have heard that if the primary use is for reading or browsing the web, you might consider getting the white.

7. elan123 macrumors 6502

also one is black and one is white...

8. optimusp517 thread starter macrumors member

optimusp517

I'll be doing reading for sure and tons of web browsing. It's so much easier with the ipad compared to my macbook and that's partially the reason why I'm getting it.

I'll probably lean towards the white one just because it looks nicer and you can't see the fingerprints around the border either when you use it.

9. obey908 macrumors 6502a

I prefer my white iPad over my black. And it does show a lot less finger prints

10. Mdifilm macrumors regular

I agreed, I have both and I like the 'look of the white one' more but it does distract when viewing videos...

11. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

I've tried to like white, and just can't over the black. The bezel looks more yellow to me when surfing the web and its a distraction when watching a movie or playing a game. Feels like looking through a window or something, where you forget about the bezel with the black.

12. obey908 macrumors 6502a

I prefer my white iPad over my black. And it does show a lot less finger prints

13. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

On topic, consider the two attached images. Can you tell me which grey area is darker?

Attached Files:

14. Eallan macrumors 6502

I took back the white model I had for a black one due to similar reasons. The white bezel makes the "white" on webpages looks "off." It really does change the experience. I preferred the way it looked with the screen off, and really dig white, I just think it's less usable.

15. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

I too have both a white and black iPad 2 and I prefer the white one. I agree that it is a total optical illusion.

16. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

This brings up the question:
    since parts are sourced from different manufacturers (and I would imagine this goes for screens that come from different manufacturers) wouldn't there be a difference not just across models but even between the same models?