Display feels loose, but looks fine

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Retired Cat, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I've recently noticed that when I tap on the part of my iPhone 5 display near the volume buttons, the display feels like it is bouncing up and down ever so slightly. This doesn't happen on other areas of the screen. I also looked closely at the phone but nothing looks amiss.

There's also a rattling noise when I tap on the lower left hand corner of the display. Seems to be from the camera. Or maybe it's the vibrate motor. Any ideas?

After 7 months my phone has held up pretty well overall.

2. blarivee macrumors 6502

It's most likely the "clicky" display some people are having. iPhone 5 display is held in place by clips (and two screws at the bottom) just like the iPhone 3/3GS. I would suggest you get it replaced, less the problem becomes worse when your warranty expires.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The autofocus lens is loose so it is supposed to make that sound.

4. NickRichyRich macrumors member

When in doubt take it to the Apple Store, make a Genius Bar appointment. Show them what you are talking about and they can reseat the front of the phone that is something that could solve your issue.

5. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

I have a small update: I noticed that there's no display looseness at all in the morning when my phone is fairly cool or even cold from not being used.

The looseness only occurs when my phone is warm from charging or heavy use. I suspect that differences in thermal expansion between the clips and other parts are responsible. In any case, the phone doesn't appear to be having issues so I'm just going to leave the issue alone for now.

6. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

My 5s does this, too. It feels like the old blackberry phones where the entire screen clicked for tactile feedback. :rolleyes:

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You have a few months on your warranty ...

8. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Took my phone into an apple store. They replaced with in less than 5 mins.