Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Was considering Apple Studio Display but for that price you can't even rotate it vertically for coding. Any suggestion from other brands?

Thanks

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Was thinking about it and I think that's probably correct. The bigger display is going to give me more vertical anyway so I'd rather be able to have Xcode, VSCode, plus other IDE.

In that case would you go with the ASD? Or are there better less expensive alternatives by LG, BenQ etc?

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
We use Dell ultra sharp ultrawide.

From what of our iOS devs, they seem to work well with our mbps

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple Studio Display but for that price you can't even rotate
My opinion is that the ASD is just an LG 5k monitor with an Apple logo slapped on it and they threw in an ARM cpu for giggles. You can get a better, more feature rich monitor elsewhere.

If you want a complete apple setup, then its not a bad monitor, and I don't knock sticking with Apple, but I do think you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere.

Reactions: MBAir2010

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Dell ultra sharp ultrawide
Any of them are good or do you suggest specific versions?
My opinion is that the ASD is just an LG 5k monitor with an Apple logo slapped on it and they threw in an ARM cpu for giggles. You can get a better, more feature rich monitor elsewhere.

If you want a complete apple setup, then its not a bad monitor, and I don't knock sticking with Apple, but I do think you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere.
What are some examples of displays you like?

What do you guys think about curved displays?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I like my LG ultrawide, works well direct with USBC to a MacBookPro and equally well with a thunberbolt 4 dock inbetween. I have a Logitech Brio on-top of the LG connected neatly into the display.

Brilliant for coding, easily can have the equivalent of 3 pages of A4 comfortably next to each other, and with younger eyes even more. I tend to often use 2/3 for the IDE/Editor and 1/3 for a browser, and then also have my MacBookPro screen for other indicator.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Was looking at this:

LG Monitor Display 32UL950-W 31.5" / 4K/ Display HDR600 / Nano IPS / Thunderbolt3​

Seems pretty good. Many calling it a low end version of Apple XDR.

But in 2023 it seems I should be looking at > HDR 1000. What do you think? Is HDR 600 really ok for coding, design, and video editing? How about just for coding and graphic design without video editing?

I found a few HDR 1000 monitors but they don't have Thunderbolt. Would it be better to have HDR 1000 without Thunderbolt or better to have Thunderbolt with HDR 600?

My eyes get tired really quick. In fact, these days I only use a monitor if I have to. Main reason why I cannot do everything on a MBP anymore.

Seiko4169

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
England
and you don't want to treat yourself to the XDR?

I have an iMac Pro (similar to ASD), a Samsung M8 and an LG 49" Ultra. For game design and development I still prefer the iMac Pro due to it's screen. The M8 is nice but not as crisp or colourful. The LG is a little too wide and not enough vertical screen space. If I could pluck up the courage I'd purchase an XDR and use it with my MBP 16 M1 Max as that really would represent an upgrade on the iMac Pro inc screen.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
and you don't want to treat yourself to the XDR?
Me? From what I can see in the specs, the main difference between LG I listed and the XDR is 600 to 1600 nits.

My work isn't video but I want to do some video and Photoshop editing for content creation.

I don't even think I'd appreciate the XDR in all its glory.

I'm a software dev and also do some UI/Graphic design.

If I can find a 4K, HDR 1000 with Thunderbolt that would be nice. But even then, we don't really need Thunderbolt right.

Btw, I don't like to read small fonts that usually come with high solution displays since my eyes are not what they used to be. But I still want to have four or so IDEs / text editors open side by side. Would a 32" display be wide enough?

brerlappin

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2012
These models from BenQ look pretty good:

Basic75

macrumors 68010
May 17, 2011
Europe
Or save a lot of money. You can get two decent 27" 2560x1440 IPS displays for under 500 USD/EUR. Things won't be retina-sharp at just 110ppi, but it is a pixel density that was normal a decade ago, is natively supported by macOS, and the price speaks for itself.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can get two decent 27" 2560x1440 IPS displays for under 500 USD/EU
I opted for an ultrawide monitor instead of a two monitor setup. Just my preference but I found using 2 monitors to be a bit disruptive then one wide one - YMMV

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I think I'm looking for some kind of combo of these specs.

27", 32", 34"
IPS 4K, 5K
100 hz, 144 hz, 160 hz
DisplayHDR 800-1000+ (because Apple XDR is HDR 1600)
Vesa
* Bonus Thunderbolt3

One issue I've seen with non Apple monitors is they tend to be quite glossy. I really cannot stand any glare so I'm also thinking about the Apple Studio Display + nano. Do any of the LG/Sammy/BenQ monitors have some kind of anti-glare coating?

The other discovery is that I originally thought the ASD couldn't rotate vertically but in fact it can be ordered with a Vesa mount instead which means I can use it vertically for some of my coding. I use Jupyter Notebooks all day and they can get insanely long especially when doing any kind of ML research so portrait orientation is huge.

I think I'll have something like a 27"/32" monitor on the left in portrait and a wide or ultra-wide 34" monitor in landscape in the right.

Lastly, I'm definitely wanting a monitor that can reduce eye strain. i.e. Anti-flicker, matte, high refresh rate.

Based on this info can you recommend anything?

Last edited:

Seiko4169

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
England
Me? From what I can see in the specs, the main difference between LG I listed and the XDR is 600 to 1600 nits.

My work isn't video but I want to do some video and Photoshop editing for content creation.

I don't even think I'd appreciate the XDR in all its glory.

I'm a software dev and also do some UI/Graphic design.

If I can find a 4K, HDR 1000 with Thunderbolt that would be nice. But even then, we don't really need Thunderbolt right.

Btw, I don't like to read small fonts that usually come with high solution displays since my eyes are not what they used to be. But I still want to have four or so IDEs / text editors open side by side. Would a 32" display be wide enough?
Yep, the XDR is certainly a stretch but the 6K appeals to me over the 5K I have. Just more desktop :)

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
That's not very specific. Do you mean a common 34" 3440x1440, a 38" 3840x1600, the crazy wide 49" 5120x1440, or something else?
I think they’re 38” but I’m not back in the office until New Year to check the exactly mode

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Was home for the holidays and to save my eyes I used my parents' 2016 Sony smart TV. Nothing glorious.

Connected the old 2015 MBP 16" to it via single HDMI cable and that's it. Was able to do some light development for a few days without ripping my eyes out.

I thought the image was good for casual programming and the MBP recognized the Sony and auto-adjusted everything. I didn't have to do a thing. Was able to use MBP display for video tutorials on the right and the Sony for my IDE on the left. Only think I would've liked would've been to rotate the Sony vertically for long Jupyter notebooks.

1. So based on my satisfaction with a low end smart TV, what Amazon displays would you recommend just for IDEs/development?
2. If I wanted to get something a bit nicer for light graphic design as well what would be your choice then?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
You'll be fine with any cheap screen then ;) I can't stand HDMI connections for computer display personally, the resolution doesn't match well, the refresh rate is too low, a TV has the wrong contrast ratio, and so on. But if you are fine with that then just get the cheapest screen you like the look off.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Well, I can live with it for short term. I mean it's just a IDE right. I admit it's not sexy but I was just glad I didn't have to strain my eyes.

I won't be able to do graphic design on it though so if I wanted a display that was a step up for light graphic design what would you recommend?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I would always go for an IPS screen, and one with USBC or Display Port connection. For an IDE having an ultra-wide is super useful. I'd go for one of the LG ultrawides.

Reactions: patent10021

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I would always go for an IPS screen, and one with USBC or Display Port connection. For an IDE having an ultra-wide is super useful. I'd go for one of the LG ultrawides.
Agreed. In my case I also need vertical for Jupyter notebooks. Vertical left monitor and wide right monitor.

I guess since my graphic design is mostly casual work that's handed off to a pro I could use my MBP display for design if I get a new M1 even though it's only 15". If I get a Mac Studio then I'll need a better monitor solution for design.

Why do you say USBC or Display Port? HDMI isn't good?

JaredJenkinsDesign

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2022
I think for your case, a 32" 4K IPS monitor would be a good balance between screen real-estate for coding, text sharpness and light graphic design work. Unless you plan on doing some gaming on it or editing HDR content, you don't need a monitor with high refresh rate or HDR 600/1,000 or mini-LED. That will save you money on features that you don't need.

Back when I was researching monitors for creative work since I was looking to upgrade, the ProArt Display PA329CV was one of the better value purchases that you could get for a 32" 4K IPS monitor. A couple other solid 32" 4K IPS options include the BenQ PD3200U and ViewSonic VP3256-4K. All of these monitors are matte so you won't have to worry about glare.

A 34" or 38" Ultrawide could also be an option but most of them have a PPI or 109. If that's sharp enough for you, those could work but if you can't stand the fuzzier text for coding, then you'll have to look for something sharper.

Reactions: patent10021

Mr Screech

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2018
Everyone works differently.
I would not opt for a ultrawide and go dual portrait mode instead for video editing.
One facing you head on, the other one to the side. Working off-center hurts my neck after a while.

In video editing, coding and browsing you mostly work vertical, with layers, lines and textscrolling.
Portrait 5k monitors allow you to have the upper part to be a >1920x1080 preview.
Then you have a large bottom part for your layers. And the middle part for effects, source etc.
I have a 2nd portrait 5k for soundlevels and one top-to-bottom project panel (file management).
The amount of scrolling through project assets is minimized this way.

For designwork in photoshop, illustrator etc. landscape would be better. But as soon as you're dealing with a layered timeline, I'd opt for portrait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.