Display for macbook air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Con1750, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Con1750 macrumors newbie

Hey im looking for a decent display for my 11" air, been looking at this guy,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S27...id=1425221670&sr=8-1&keywords=27+inch+monitor

Looks pretty slick, im going to be doing general word processing, some audio production and editing using pro tools/logic (screen real estate is nice, hence the 27")

Anymore suggestions are welcome, im based in the UK and not really looking to spend much more than 150-200 pounds, IPS display preferred also.

2. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

We supply our sales people with these for their MBA's at their desks, except in the 21" version. Definitely decent enough for what you are doing, without being spectacular.

Just keep in kind there is no tilt or height adjustment on this one. Got a few complaints about that from our staff, but other than that good buy. I think if you can stretch yourself the extra £7 go for this. Same monitor with an adjustable viewing angle.

3. Con1750 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply, the viewing angles should be pretty good on an IPS panel I guess, kind of looking for a slim bezel monitor as I just feel they look way nicer.

Im not sure how much the adjustability will benefit me, the monitor will be on my university dorm desk with a crappy chair with no adjustability either, so unfortunately ergonomics will be poor regardless haha :)

4. akr47 macrumors newbie

If you are after more screen real estate (i.e. you'd like view more applications or images side by side at the same time), you should consider a monitor with a higher resolution (2560x1440). Something like this would do the job:link. Unfortunately it's a little over your budget.

If you'd like to stick with the lower resolution models (e.g 1920x1200 or 1920x1080), I'd recommend a smaller monitor, in order to get higher PPI. On a smaller monitor, text would be sharper, so it would be a lot more enjoyable for university work, especially in a small room, where you have to sit close to the screen. For example, this would be perfect: link. It would save you about £40, and would be a lot nicer to look at, from normal viewing distance.

5. motrek macrumors 68020

When talking about how big the dots/pixels are, and thus text/graphics sharpness, you have to take into account how far you're sitting from the monitor. A small monitor will have bigger dots if you sit closer and a big monitor will have smaller dots if you sit further.

I enjoyed having a large-ish (24") 1080p monitor because it gave me more flexibility in terms of where I could sit.

I now have a 27" 2560x1440 monitor, which I bought for the extra screen real estate. In terms of the real estate, I like it a lot better, but I do have to sit much closer to it for comfortable viewing, which is annoying.

6. akr47 macrumors newbie

I am saying the following:

On a 21" screen with 1920*1080 resolution, the pixel density is higher. There are more pixels in every cm^2 compared to a 27" screen with the same resolution.

For the same perceived sharpness, you can sit a lot closer to the smaller screen ,provided the resolution is the same as the larger one. This is why I am suggesting getting the smaller one for a university dorm (they tend to be small in the UK, at least mine was).

I'd also like to reinforce the point you also made: screen real estate depends on the resolution (if there is no scaling, which is the case for retina displays), not on the size of the panel!

7. Thrifty1 macrumors regular