Display from 2009 or later MBP in Late 2008 model, will it work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yousifabdullah, Aug 18, 2011.

1. yousifabdullah macrumors regular

Hi!

Say, if I can get hold of an Apple matte display originally designed for a 2009 or later MBP, can I set it up in place of the glossy screen on my current MBP? I have the 15" unibody Late 2008 model with ExpressCard and removable battery, two features I rather not lose. But the glossy display isn't my thing, totally need a matte display (and Apple didn't have matte versions back then).

It's all LVDS inside, right? What about the iSight connection (or FaceTime HD camera connection)? Will it work or am I wasting time? iFixit's guide to replace the display doesn't look too hard, it's just a matter of finding that matte display (eBay or elsewhere).

Thanks!

2. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

hey i don't know too much about that (sorry). But what is the difference between the matte display and the regular glossy display?

3. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

The matte display is MUCH easier to view in sunlight (and you don't see your reflection at all) than the glossy screen. The only drawback is it doesn't look as nice IMO. And it's a more expensive option.

And @yousifabdullah, I don't know about your situation.... replacing screens isn't my specialty but when it comes to replacing older generation hardware with newer generation hardware, you should always take caution.

4. yousifabdullah thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that's why I started this thread :)

I know there are certain risks, but if the connections are all the same (LVDs, iSight, etc) then is there something holding me back except trying to find an OEM matter display? Of course, there is TechRestore's option, but the end result seems very ugly. In my project I want to achieve that silver bezel look in the end as well, so it must be an Apple part.

Thanks!