Display goes black when plugging in to power

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cyberninja9, May 19, 2017.

1. cyberninja9 macrumors newbie

cyberninja9

I recently noticed that when I come from and plug my computer in to charge, the display goes black. I can still log in and potentially click around and if I unplug the charger, it comes back on. Alternatively, sometimes when I leave the computer plugged in over night and open it in the morning the screen will flash on the login window and then go black; if I unplug it, the display comes back on.

Does anyone else have this issue/have any ideas on how to resolve it?

13 inch early 2015 rMPB
    Mac OS 10.12.4

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Just to clarify - Do you mean that the backlight goes out, but you can still see the screen, with icons and dock, etc, very dim?
    Or does it go completely black, with no image of any kind, even if you shine a bright light into the screen?
    If completely black, how are you able to click around on the screen?
    Have you tried an SMC reset, which can sometimes clear up power and display problems?

3. cyberninja9 thread starter macrumors newbie

cyberninja9

--- Post Merged, May 19, 2017 ---
    Sorry, the screen goes completely black as if the computer is off. When I mean that I can click around, if I move the cursor and click randomly and there is a button there the click will do something. For example, if it goes black on the login screen I can still type my password and log in or if I type it in wrong, I can hear the error sound. I don't actually see my cursor or anything happening on the screen. But it's not like the computer is asleep, it's just the display that's off

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The inverter is probably failing.
    Pretty sure that requires replacing the display panel, but you can find out for sure by taking to a "genius"

Does the display remain lit when you run Diagnostics? Do you get any error codes as a result?

5. cyberninja9 thread starter macrumors newbie

cyberninja9

No issues detected when running Diagnostics. I just reset the SMC and will report back if the problem persists.

Thank you for the help!