display goes blank

Discussion in 'macOS' started by menich, Jul 3, 2009.

1. menich macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded from my macbook to a refurbished macbook pro and since the day I got it it has been giving me problems. Applications quite suddenly all the time and the system freezes and runs sluggish. The biggest prob is the display. It goes black and won't come back on. Sometimes when it goes blank you can see faintly if you look carefully and you can hear sounds. It slowly deteriorates from a once a week occurrence to a daily one until it won't turn on at all. I reinstall everything once a month. I took my computer to the mac store they ran all the diagnostic tests they have and said it is not a hardware problem. I have now wiped out all of my non-apple applications and the problem is back. HELP!!! anyone have any ideas?

2. freesonwang macrumors member

Is it a "classic"/"all-silver" Macbook Pro? If it is, that might mean it is a video card issue which is under warranty because Apple has admitted that those video cards are defective. In any case (classic Macbook Pro or not), you should still be under warranty right? Try going to an Apple store...er...again?

What do you mean you can see the screen "faintly"? (This probably means its not a hardware problem).

Wow. And you have done reinstalls? That's about it. It seems to be a defective computer. Get it to a stage where you can show the problems in front of the Apple people and just keep yelling at them until you get a new computer =D.

Cheers! And good luck!

3. menich thread starter macrumors newbie

mac store visit

It is a classic silver MacBook Pro. I actually got it to completely freeze up in the mac store and then they ran the diagnostic test and proved that it was not a hardware issue and therefor they cannot/ will not fix it. If it was the video card wouldn't that cause problems when they ran the diagnostic tests?

Is there anything else I can do?