Display/graphics failure on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by celegans, May 15, 2009.

1. celegans macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a year old mac pro (early 2008) which suddenly developed a display problem last week after being off for a couple of weeks while I was traveling.

The display (an LG 22") is blank (black) and does not detect a signal when the MacPro starts, or when it is running. I know the MacPro is running l, because I can screen share from a laptop and run programs as usual (the window showing the MacPro in the lpatop screen is then apparently set for 1280x768, I think). I tried to move the ATI Radeon graphic card to a different slot and even put a borrowed Apple graphics card in the teh same slot (an another one) with no success.

It looks like a logic board problem, but I was wondering if any others have had similar experience or have advice about testing/fixing this before I take it in and pay $$ at the Apple store.

Thanks in advance,

celegans

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Perhaps your screen is broken?

Try it with your laptop.

3. dieideeistgut macrumors newbie

Running a MacPro1.1 here. Had this Problem with a flashed 2600 ATI Card which worked perfect for about 2 years. Switched back to the 7300GT and had no problems since then anymore.
    I realy think it's a Mainboard issue. Noticing USB Failures on Boottime. Current method to fix it: Just let the Mac sleep instead of switching it off. Maybe you know a fix other than swaping the MB (which makes NO sense). Cheers.

4. celegans thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Display/graphics failure

Hello all,

Thanks for the suggestions. Its not the screen because the laptop shows up fine when connected to the same screen. I agree with dieideeistgut that it is likely to be a MB problem, because a swap wioth another graphics card did not fix it. MAc info (under apple menu) quits when you click on the graphics information item. It looks like a visit to the apple store will be necessary.

celegans

5. dieideeistgut macrumors newbie

Well, thats different here, changed to the 7300 and the bootups are fine for now. Getting a X1900 next week, maybe i know more then. i dont want to know how expensive the new board would be...

6. dr34mr macrumors newbie

dr34mr

I also have this issue with my MacPro1,1.

I'm running a quad core 2.66 Ghz with 8GB RAM and a X1900XT.
    Has done it interminantly for a while, normally i just unplug from the wall for 15 secs and then plug it back in then it boots fine. The system is running normally (Apart from no video output) because i can remote desktop in at every runs fine. One the other hand, the other day it took almost 3 hours to get it to start up.

Have tried reseating the RAM and video card, wiping the PRAM, and another display adaptor. No of which fix the problem

7. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

TIME for a new card. The 4870 :D