Display inverts when moving bezel - anybody know how to fix it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PDE, Apr 25, 2008.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

I must be cursed by the Apple gods! There have been too many issues to think that there is any other explanation...

My almost perfect MBP with my almost perfect AUO display (no yellowing, excellent viewing angles, almost no bleed etc) has suddenly developed a screen issue. When I move the display sometimes the entire picture will become inverted. I can reproduce it by tapping on the back of the display, so I suspect it has to do with a loose cable or something.

Does anybody know what this could be and if I could perhaps fix it myself? If it's a cable, would that be very hard to fix? Anybody with experience?

I really don't want to return this one and risk getting a unit with a bad display, but I'm still within the return window so I could do it.

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Definitely sounds like a loose cable. If you have a local Apple store they might be able to fix that there rather than replace it. I doubt the display would need to be replaced.

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Sounds like a loose connector inside maybe?

4. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, that's what I am thinking too. I was hoping somebody here had fixed a problem like this themselves so that I don't have to be without it while it's being repaired.

Cheers!

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Unfortunately if someone did, doing so would probably void your warranty. Best let the 'genius's' do it :rolleyes: lol

Sorry you had this happen. Best of luck!

6. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks...I need a little more luck with my computers!

7. lovemac125 macrumors newbie

There is a guide to opening the case to check the LVDS cable on iFixit.com. It is not that hard to open the top case and re-seat the cable if you have the tools and a bit of experience with the inside of a laptop. If you are careful it will not be apparent that the computer was opened up so, if you were unsuccessful you could still take it to an apple store, send it back, or an AASP and get it fixed under warranty.