Display iPhone 4 in O2 immune to deathgrip?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tokiopop, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

My iPhone hasn't arrived yet, so in search of a free micro-sim adapter (which I never got) I went into O2, and saw the iPhone 4 on display.

I thought I'd have a look at what all the fuss was about, and tried the deathgrip. I tried covering the whole left corner with the palm of my hand, covering the black line with my tumb, placing a thumb on the bottom antenna and finger on the left antenna, but the bars would not drop!

Do you think O2 are being a little sneaky and have something setup to display 5 bars all the time?

2. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I think it's more likely the store has a cell tower or femtocell in it.

Even with a huge attenuation, being six foot from the transmitter would still result in five bars.

Phazer

3. ggogins macrumors newbie

that death grip crap isnt a problem with ALL the iphone 4's cus mine has NEVER dropped bars after many test of diff hand placements...Humans tend to exaggerate now and again. ATT services has NEVER been perfect, so y do people expect it to b now with the new iPhone??? idk

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I hope the latter is true, and that there isn't a cell tower in the store. :):eek::D

5. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I'm just going by videos I've seen of people holding the iPhone there and it going from decent signal to no service, and from around 1mbps to 0mbps, but I never got to speed test this iPhone because the man gave my funny looks when I was holding it and prodding it etc

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Correction, you don't see it as you have a strong service signal.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

This is correct, it's common knowledge that Apple had all their stores kitted out with femtocells or the like to boost signal instore. No reason why O2 hasn't done the same.