Display is not turning on - black screen. (iMac 21" 2011)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by restraint, Dec 13, 2015.

1. restraint, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015

restraint macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Little pre-history.

I changed my HDD on my iMac and decided to install the thermo sensor after awhile. Machine was working fine, it's just sometimes it made little noises, so I decided to fix that. So I torn machine down again, installed the sensor, put everything back together. And... It turns on and display is not working - black screen. I went inside again, found that display data connector (the wide one) is damaged. I went to a store, bought a new connector (this is how it looks)
    image.jpeg

, put it on hoping that it was gonna work this time, but the screen is off again. Double checked all the connectors - everything is plugged in. Then, I've noticed that my old connector is having a little bit different ICT number than the new one that I bought. The old connector: 593-1350 B ICT 3211, the new one: 593-1350 B ICT 3112. I checked everything, dunno if it's motherboard, display, video card, or just because the connector is not matching. My question:

What do you think should I do guys? Any smart suggestions and your experience is needed. If this difference of ICTs might be affecting the display on the computer that it is still not turning on?

Old connector:
    image.jpeg

2. Schprecher macrumors member

careful looking on all pins inside connector on motherboard, and in Lvds cable, i think u damage one pins or bad locking lvds cable to motherboard. OR HORROW situation, u kill LVDS channel on VideoCard.

First, check pins inside connector on motherboard.

3. restraint thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding. I changed the cable to another new one, brought my machine to the local Mac repair shop and they put it on, and everything worked out. Don't know what the reason was, maybe the first bought cable wasn't good. Paid $60 to technician, he checked all the pins and the socket, to make sure everything is ok. Plus he checked the thermal sensor itself and installed that one as well.

Everything seems to be working now, the only thing I'm concerned is on the starting menu, during the gray screen, I see a graphic stripe along the whole display which disappears after a few seconds. Odd. I hope the machine won't turn me down anymore.

Thanks again for responding.