display issue for a new macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flashcrosma, Jul 8, 2009.

1. flashcrosma macrumors newbie

i just got my new 15 inch macbook pro yesterday, but i somehow feel my display is not as vivid as those shown in the retail store for the nature background resolution. plus, is it normal to load with a pure navy color background when i turn on the macbook pro after the pure white background with the icon of apple?
    sorry, i just have nevered used mac os before, don't blame me for the ignorance of those 2 questions

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can calibrate your monitor in the System Preferences
    You can also adjust your brightness

I would try that first

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

It's not ignorant, that's what these forums are for :) some may get mad at simple questions, but they should realize not everyone is an expert, even at the smallest things on Mac.

First, yes the blue screen is normal when booting up

Second, also yes my screen was kinda yellowish and not as vibrant, but after a quick calibration it looks much better, even better than the stores!

Download the attached file

Go to your download window and click the little magnifying glass to the right of the name and it will take you to where it stored the calibration.

Then drag the SuperCal file on to your desktop ( it should have a wavy shape with colors in it )

Next go to the finder window and click Home or whatever name it has, then go to Library>ColorSync>profiles, when the Profile folder is open drag the file from the desktop to it. then close that down and go to System preferences and click on displays then it should have 2 panels, Display and color, click on color and uncheck "Show profiles for this display only" the supercal should show up and select, your display will change right away.

Any other help feel free to ask!

Attached Files:

4. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

If the colors you're seeing at startup really are white (rather than light gray) and navy (rather than a somewhat lighter shade of blue), something is wrong. But I doubt that's what you're really seeing.

There are a few possible reasons why your display might not appear as vivid. First things first, go to the Apple menu (top left corner of screen, apple icon) and choose System Preferences. In sysprefs, choose Displays and note the brightness level. Set it to maximum to see what your monitor is like.

Also note the "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" setting. If it's checked, this will be your answer when you start wondering why your screen keeps dimming and brightening unexpectedly. It's a whiz-bang neat-o feature that's cool for about two minutes. A lot of folks choose to turn that feature off.

You may also want to go to "Energy Saver" in System Preferences and choose to deselect the "Automatically reduce the display brightness before display sleep" feature, as this can be annoying for folks who are unaccustomed to it. Also notice the setting for "Slightly dim the display when using this power source" under the "Battery" tab. Some folks deselect this; I keep it selected because it increases battery life.

If the display still doesn't seem as vivid to you, go to http://www.bergdesign.com and download SuperCal to calibrate your screen. This isn't quite as good as a hardware/software calibration tool, but it's a helluva lot better than Apple's built-in calibrator.

That's a lot of info, but hopefully you'll find it helpful.

Edit: Andrew K. beat me to the punch.

5. flashcrosma thread starter macrumors newbie

To Andrew K. and xpovos

thank you guys so much to the solutions. :) btw, would calibration of the display hurt eyes 'cause i heard people saying such experiences before?

6. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

your welcome :D and no I don't think so because I've had it on my macbook for 6 months and I'm okay! haha I just got a 15" Macbook Pro and added the calibration too.