Display issue MacPro 2008 w/Radeon 2600

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Fornothingelse, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Fornothingelse macrumors newbie

I have been having an issue with my display lately and think it might be because of my graphics card. The display shows a "tail" of whatever is on the screen. So if you are looking at an edge of a window, that window edge will trail off to the side, creating a sort of ghost image. So I tried disconnecting the monitor and I plugged it into the other slot. That seemed to fix the the "Tail" temporarily. But, it made certain portions of the screen blurry. There are literally blurry patches. So I tried switching the connection again, and it just moved the blurriness.

Does anybody have any ideas? Also, this is my second ATI Radeon HD 2600! Could it be a graphics card issue and if so, should I switch to the Nvidia option?

Thanks for the help!

2. tobyg macrumors 6502a

Sounds as if you're using an analog connection and a cheap cable.

Either that, or it sounds more like your monitor is dieing.

Do you have a different monitor to test with?

3. Fornothingelse thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using a 24" Gateway monitor that I picked up about 3 years ago (Was one of the best non-apple displays at the time). Standard vga cable to vga-dvi adapter that plugs into the computer. The reason I didn't think it was the monitor is because the problem changes every time I re-plug in the monitor.

I do not have another monitor to test out unfortunately.

Also of note, I have been noticing some lag in the computer. When you select something, it will take about 15-20 seconds to display that it is selected. It doesn't always do it, but several times a day.

I'm running and Early 2008 Mac Pro (2.8 Octo w/ 8gbs of memory). Basically, there is no reason it should be slowing down!

4. tobyg macrumors 6502a

If the monitor has a DVI port, I suggest using that. The reason it changes is because it's analog. Try DVI, it's digital and you won't see those issues and ghosting. Ghosting is typical of very cheap cables, too.

Lag could be your hard drive(s) going to sleep. Go into power management and turn that option off.