display issue, pixel bleeding

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by squeeks, Feb 24, 2008.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

my display bleeds pixels, particularly orangish skin tones, take a cheek for instance, the display will display a persons cheek as one giant pixel, or make all of the pixels of a very similar shade the same exact color, this happened before on my g5 imac, didnt notice it for a long time on my macbook pro until the graphics update with .5.2 any ideas?

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Is it possible that you don't have your display system pref set to millions of colors?

3. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

quite possible...but it is, just checked

good thought that thats similar to whats happening

4. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

here i have a sample, the circles part of her face is all a single color on my screen, its not nearly as bad though when opened in preview, or safari than photoshop cs3, photoshop makes it look really bad

Attached Files:

• test.jpg
      test.jpg
      File size:
      363.1 KB
      Views:
  5. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Try changing your display prefs to 256 colors so you can really see that the setting has actually changed, let it load the screen, and then change it back to millions again. Maybe the OS is erroneously reporting that you're in millions when you're really in thousands.

6. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

only two choices i have are thousands and millions, and thers a good bit of difference, i calibrated the color and it seems to have helped, granted everything is a lot more blue now, but the color bleeding is almost gone...guess this will just take some getting used to...

i know there are some color profile threads on here somewhere i think ill go track those down

7. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

There's a more basic question I realized I should ask, don't be insulted if you're way more advanced, because the simple things are where all troubleshooting should start.

Are you sure you're using completely uncompressed images? JPG images, even directly off your camera, are compressed, and this looks EXACTLY like image compression artifacts. In fact, since I am able to see the same problem on my screen as you see on your screen, then the problems is DEFINITELY in the image and not a problem with the display. (unless you actually took out your camera and took a picture of the screen.) Even if that really is a photograph of your screen, it still looks EXACTLY like image compression artifacts that you're seeing.

8. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

no need to be apologetic, that was great advice, the images are from an unknown source so are likely to be highly compressed, ive never had this issue with PC computers so its most likely something with the color profile apple uses, which after messing with it seems to have solved the problem

thanks for your help:)