Display Issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by throoney, Feb 28, 2015.

1. throoney macrumors newbie

I currently have an early 2008 iMac (intel 2.66 ghz, 4 gig ram). I was planning on upgrading my HD with an SSD to speed up the performance of the computer. While I was backing up my old hard drive, the screen started to show floating dots, and artifacts all over the screen. I thought the HD was failing, and went forward with the new drive. Once the new drive was installed, I had the same issue, and in addition, I could not install the OS. I put the old HD back, and currently am restoring the OS, as per the discussion i had with the Apple tech. During the re-install, I am still having lines and dots (picture below). I am thinking it is the display or the video card. Would anyone have any thoughts? Given the age of the computer, I wouldn't fix it, unless it is something I can do myself cheaply. Thank you for any help you provide.

Attached Files:

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

3. throoney thread starter macrumors newbie

the computer won't boot either. Could that be caused by the gpu?

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yes, it can be, although that dosen't rule out a bad hard drive or data cable. What phase of the boot does it get stuck at?

5. throoney thread starter macrumors newbie

6. throoney thread starter macrumors newbie

I just checked the LED indicator lights, and all 4 are on. Not sure if that is helpful.

7. MacVidCards Suspended

Bad GPU.

If you have one of the iMacs with removable one, a 10 min trip through the oven may fix.

There are also reflow services.

Or get a replacement. Has to be a Mac one that came in your machine as original or option.

If the GPU is soldered to logic board, it will need a whole new one.

Sort of like a $2,000 car that needs an $1,800 transmission.

8. throoney thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your help. I tried the oven fix and it worked. Mac is up and running. Now the question is do I still try the ssd upgrade or pass on it since it's days are numbered.

Great forum. Thank you again for you help.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It's only a matter of time before the issues appear again. Your iMac is almost 7 years old anyway, it may be time to start looking for a replacement.