Display issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tanstech, Oct 21, 2015.

1. tanstech macrumors newbie

tanstech

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of help. We are not an Apple authorized partner but we do upgrade macbook and imac RAM and SSDs.

We've upgraded dozens without issue but we are having issues with a 27" late 2012 imac. We upgraded to SSD and did a clean install as the old drive could not be cloned due to bad sectors. We also replaced one of the useless plastic washers on the spring for the stand. However, since putting it all back together, we have a vertical black portion on the screen about 3 inches wide. I booked it in to see an Apple Genius who warned that because we're not Apple certified, they'd probably charge but after a brief look, suggested it was the display cable. However, I have since replaced that with the same issue. Sometimes the lower portion of the display will go blank/pixelated but not always.

Next step would be to replace the display but I hear it could also be bad solder in the display cable socket. Either way it's probably going to be expensive for me as I'll undoubtedly have to foot the bill for my client (or our insurance company will).

I've attached 2 pics hopefully showing what's wrong.

We took everything apart to do the upgrade and repair taking our usual anti-static precautions and were extremely careful removing the screen, disconnecting cables etc.

We've ruled out an OS issue as we've tried other hard disks and the black display portion appears at boot up too. We've also plugged an external display through the mini-display port and that shows perfectly so ruled out a graphics issue.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm frustrated that probably fixing the self-leveling mount (which was poorly engineered in the first place) has probably caused the issue and I should have just stuck to the RAM upgrade. The older iMacs are fine when it comes to upgrading to SSD but the fact you have to cut through the double-sided tape on the newer models means I probably won't bother attempting upgrading anything than RAM on these anymore.

I've been working on PCs and laptops for over 10 years with no major issues so I know what I'm doing when it comes to electronics repairs but this has seriously put me off upgrading Apple kit and I'm certainly not shelling out the ridiculous fees on becoming Apple certified!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

I know it may seem a dumb question, but did you verify that the display was functioning 100% before you started all your repairs?

3. tanstech thread starter macrumors newbie

tanstech

Not a dumb question at all but yes it was working fine beforehand. I wouldn't mind if I'd mishandled the unit or perhaps forgot to unplug before dismantling but we were extra careful as we know how fragile the screens and connections are! :/ Business insurance excess is the same cost as a replacement display! :/

4. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

Sounds like either the actual screen has gone or the connector is dodgy. If your insurance excess is the same as a replacement, I'd buy the replacement and avoid the claim on your insurance.

5. tanstech thread starter macrumors newbie

tanstech

Thanks cbrand! Exactly what I'm doing. Definitely does seem to be the LCD. Have managed to source one for a reasonable (by Apple's standards) so fingers crossed! An expensive lesson learnt, no more taking apart the new imacs with these screens for us!

Good way for Apple to ensure that only their authorized repair centers can fix them....at their ridiculously inflated prices! :/