Display issues!!! (I hope)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gallen23, May 29, 2010.

1. gallen23 macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 mac pro connected to a 23 inch wacom screen. My computer has ran perfect for several months now, the other day I left to go to the store turning my screen off as usual, upon returning I turned my screen on and received a message saying no sync and sleep mode. I am guessing this means that the video card is not responding to the monitor. Please let me know what you think the problem may be and if it is the video card what card to upgrade I currently had the Radeon ATI x1900 in it. Thank you!!!!

2. gallen23 thread starter macrumors newbie

some one please respond!!!

I forgot to add that my mac pro is first generation! if anyone has any thought to what the problem may be please respond!!

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

1. Try another monitor on the existing graphics card

2. Also try your monitor on another computer

(Determines if it's the card or monitor, though I suspect it's more likely the card).

Assuming the card is dead, the best card currently available is the ATI HD4870 (none of the recent nVidia products will run in your system, as it's EFI32, and these newer cards run EFI64)

ATI uses EBC, which will work in either EFI32 or EFI64 based systems (floating point calculations are affected if you're trying to use the card for GPGPU processing, but otherwise it'll be fine).

It's also expected that we'll see a new ATI card (HD5870) with the release of the next MP. But I've no idea of your budget or specific needs for performance. I presume not that much, so going by cost, the 4870 may be the better choice.

4. gallen23 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks for the info i hope that the radeon ati 4870 works in my comp, I will find out soon thanks again though.