Display Issues, Out of Warranty.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fenderbass146, Feb 15, 2015.

1. fenderbass146, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015

fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

So I recently bought a 15" Retina 2012 used. The computer was in great shape and everything appeared fine initially. However after taking it home and using it I started to see some major display issues.

I have a small "mara" spot on the bottom of the screen, 2 small dead pixels, screen flicker occasionally, and the worst of all really bad image retention after a minute or two of the same picture being on the display. Returning to the seller isn't really an option.

Now I have four options.

1. Deal with it.
    2. Bring it to Apple and beg my case. It's ridiculous that they haven't addressed this issues on a laptop sold as the best mobile display on the market. Maybe they can give me a deal because it's obviously a manufacturer defect. There is no damage to the computer. Does anyone have any experience with getting Retina Displays replaced. Cost?
    3. Fix it myself. It looks like I can get displays on eBay for $270 which should resolve the issue. The repair looks relatively easy. (I would replace the whole top case)
    4. Sell it as is. I'm thinking I could easily get $1200 for it probably and find another one.
    What do you guys suggest.

2. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Lol, I bought my used to with ghosting, in Toronto they gave me a quote of $642 as its out of warranty.

Lol, then I went back to a different store in Toronto and told him about the ghosting, and told me if you see, we'll take care of it

Attached Files:

3. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

First I would try to bring it back to Apple and see what they say first, it's worth a try!, what I did was go to 2 different Apple stores and call apple tech support (which was kinda useless)

If you can't then try to live with it, but if it's to severe, you should just sell it.

GOOD LUCK #

4. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Wow thats good to hear. I'll have to try that. I have three within 40 miles of me. So I got three shots lol. Honestly even if they cut me a deal like $300 or under I would do it.

5. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

6. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

7. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

What number? Also did you have to pay anything for the call.

8. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

1800 my apple no i didn't pay, but when i went to apple store, my intention was to fix my migration, from my last visit. when i asked them about the ghosting problem, They didn't check my serial number this time but they just told me well take care of it.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What will escalating the ticket do? The computer is going on three years, and its out of warranty. Apple may honor a warranty that just expired, but they'll not touch one that's been long gone.

Perhaps you should pursue this with the person you purchased the computer from? If you used Paypal, open a dispute.

10. fenderbass146, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015

fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

It was Craigslist. I picked it up for $1100 so I'm still overall happy with it coming from my 2013 13" with 4 GB of ram. I'm willing to pay to get it fixed also, I'm just hoping apple will have some compassion as it was a widely known issue. Even if they gave it half off as opposed to $600+. I have always trusted Apple products that's why i buy used then to get there product that is suppose to have the best display ever made and to end up getting the worse one I have ever seen from them is ridiculous. The whole lg Samsung screen debacle is ridiculous that you are basically getting a toss up if your computer is going to be good or bad is terrible.