Display mounts for PLP (20-30-20) setup?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Spanky Deluxe, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm posting here rather than the Buyer's Advice forum since I figured the only people who might have this setup would be Mac Pro owners.

I've got a three display setup with two Dell 20" 2007FP screens in portrait mode flanking an Apple 30" Cinema Display. I've been thinking recently about mounting them all on the wall so as to free up a bit of desk space. Mounting the 30" shouldn't be too much of a problem since I've already got a VESA adapter for it but I don't quite know what kind of mounts to look for for the other two screens since they'd need to be angled in slightly and not flat against the wall.

Has anyone got this setup, any advice? I'd want the mounts to be quite thin but ideally still have a bit of manoeuvrability when installed since getting three mounts perfectly lined up on a wall sounds a bit too ambitious.

2. seek3r macrumors 6502

A pair of these would probably do what you want :)

3. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Those look like they could do the job! Alas, the shipping for three of them is more than double what they cost combined to the UK. :(

It looks like the best value solution would be to get three mounts like the one linked, bolt them on to a piece of MDF and then bolt that to the wall. The only triple display mounts I've found so far are clamp on to the desk type jobs which don't look very nice.

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I'm exactly in the same position as you (2 2007FPs flanking a 30" ACD) and I have looked for weeks for a reasonable monitor stand that can handle the dimension and weight.

These are the options:

Monitors in Motion Triple Boa.
    Probably the best stand I've ever seen, but pricy. For one unit they charge $1565. I haven't contacted the UK subsidiary (flatscreenarms.co.uk) yet, but I don't think that the price will differ by much.

You can see the product in action in this video:

[yt]EDm2QeMHZd8&hd[/yt]

Monitors in Motion Triple Sidewinder
    Basically the same product, just with less weight capacity. I haven't asked for a price yet.
    Unfortunately I can't find any pictures of videos of this product, so you might wanna consult MiM directly.

Ergotron DS100 Triple

[​IMG]

Goes for about 270 to 280 quid and fits the 20/30/20 setup. It is on its limit, in both weight capacity and size, though. There is no option to rotate the 20's any more with this setup.

Comrac Archer Wall mounts

These are what this guy uses to wall mount his setup:
    [​IMG]

The only way to get them in the UK is trough Misco.
    They go for 47 quid each and are only available in the double swing design in the UK.
    You can, however, take out unwanted links. This is what the sale person from Archer told me.

Of course there are other wall mounts that might fit as well, but for me, the Archer ones are perfectly fine. Apparently they keep up with the weight of the 30" when you take out the links and they are darn cheap.

What I'm gonna do, however, is to produce a custom stand for these arms, similar to the Triple Boa, with some modifications, though.

This is what I came up with so far:

[​IMG]

Basically I intend to mount three Archer mounts to a horizontal bar, the middle one without any swivel links.
    The bar itself will be produced out of a massive piece of aluminium and sits on a pole out of the same material. Just as the Boa. However, the pole itself will have a hight adjustable platform with a ball bearing on which the bar will sit. This allows the whole mount to rotate.

Material costs are about 300 quid for the whole stand including the Archer mounts.
    I'll post pictures of the finished setups next year, I still have to make some finishing touches and argue about some ideas with my mechanical engineer. ;)

Edit: Crap, I'm too stupid to put a direct youtube video in here... :(

5. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Thanks Transporteur for all your useful info! The photo of the setup with the Archer mounts is exactly the kind of thing I'm after and am thinking about building. Although, to be honest, having seen the price of the mount posted by seek3r, I don't really want to spend £50 per mount.

I've found a mount that looks identical to this one on eBay for half the price (link). I'm thinking of using either three of those or two of those and a non swing arm third mount for the centre screen.