Display New E-mails Only From Default Mail Account?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pete78, Feb 9, 2011.

1. pete78 macrumors member

Hi all,

So I just got my Verizon iPhone, and I love it!

My work e-mail account, which runs on Exchange (ActiveSync) has been added to my iPhone and works great. It is my default mail account, and it is set to PUSH (not Fetch) as I need to have immediate access to these e-mails given that it's work related.

I have also added my AOL mail account, and plan to add Gmail as well.

My question is sort of two-fold.

1. On the Home screen of my iPhone, is there a way for it to display only new messages from my default account (the Exchange account), and not the other mail accounts (AOL and GMAIL). For example, this morning I woke up and the "Mail" icon on my Home screen had "10" on it, representing 10 new e-mails. However, when I clicked on the "Mail" icon, only 5 of those new e-mails were from my work account (Exchange), the other 5 were from AOL.

I would like to know if there is a way to modify the settings so that the pop-up on the "Mail" icon on the Home screen only displays the amount of new e-mails on my Default mail account (Exchange), and not AOL or GMAIL.

2. Is there a way to apply PUSH only to my default account (Exchange), and do Manual Fetch for the AOL and GMAIL account? If so, I suppose this could solve my problem described above, as well as possibly conserving battery life.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

1-3: Not without jailbreaking, which I don't know has been done on a Verizon model (or if it makes a difference which carrier the phone is on). You either get all or nothing with iOS Mail.

3. Pared macrumors 65816

Just set up the personal accounts to fetch manually.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

5. pete78 thread starter macrumors member

How do I do this? The way I'm looking at the Settings, there is only one way to set how Mail is retrieved that applies to all of the Mail accounts. How do I, for example, set AOL or GMAIL to only FETCH MANUALLY, while keeping PUSH for my default account (Exchange)? Thanks.

6. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Click on advanced under fetch new data and it'll list each one.

7. pete78 thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm, I am in Settings ---> Mail/Contacts ----> Fetch New Data

All I see is Push (on/off) at the top. Underneath is Fetch (with the ability to set it to manual, every 15 minutes, etc...)

I don't see an "Advanced" button. I will keep looking though. I'm assuming the Verizon iPhone would be not different than the ATT version in this respect.

8. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Do settings/mail contacts/fetch new data/scroll to bottom to advanced. I'm on 4.0, maybe it's changed in other versions?

9. pete78 thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I'm on 4.2.6. I just don't see "advanced"; it would suck if that option is not available on the Verizon iPhone.

10. pete78 thread starter macrumors member

In the end, what I may do is just delete the AOL and GMAIL account, and just keep the Exchange account so that's the only thing coming into the "Mail" iPhone account. Then I will get some third-party app to retrieve my AOL and Gmail when needed, like iGmail. That's the only super clean solution that I can think of to my issue with the unified inbox.

11. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I would think that having "Push" ON and the Fetch settings to "Manually" you wouldn't be getting the AOL or Gmail emails until you refresh (get mail)...unless your Gmail is setup as "Exchange".

12. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

It's on the Verizon iPhone, it's on mine. You just have to scroll down a little to see "Advanced" in the Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data, it's at the bottom under "Manually".