Display not showing at 1920x1080, dunno what to do

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by romeboards, Jan 12, 2010.

1. romeboards macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I just bought a new LG display that has a 1920x1080 23" display. I am hooking it up to my Mac Pro via HDMI to a mini displayport to hdmi adapter. However, the highest resolution its giving me is 1440x900, with black bars on either side of the display. When I try to change the settings, I get two different resolution choices: [​IMG]

Any help on how I can get my mac to display properly? It would be greatly appreciated!

2. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

3. romeboards thread starter macrumors newbie

ah, yeah I see what the problem is. When the Macbook Pro is closed (and a USB keyboard/mouse is attached) the external display gives a proper 1920x1080, but when its open the external display is only 1440x900 because its mirroring the displays. So is there any way for the external display to show 1920x1080 when the Macbook Pro is open so I can still use the keyboard and trackpad?

4. susannahyork macrumors member

I think you need to go to the arrangement tab and drag the white bar to your external screen icon. That should set your external as the primary screen with the dock and such and make your laptop screen a secondary. This should allow you to keep the resolution at 1920x1080 and your lid open on your lap top.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[​IMG]

checked Mirror Displays - mirrors the internal screen to the external one
    unchecked Mirror Displays - does extend the available desktop to an external screen

[​IMG]

Will make the external the primary screen, the Dock will also be on the screen where the Menu Bar is.