display not working after startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erikparr, Jan 24, 2012.

1. erikparr macrumors newbie

Ok so I´ve got a macbook pro that is out of warranty and just installed a new screen. The install itself went fine and everything seems fine at startup, I see the apple icon and everything looks great. But once snow leopard boots up the I am getting horizontal lines flickering everywhere and I cannot see anything on the screen.

I´ve seen similar posts about flickering lines, but nothing like this where they only show up after bootup. There must be a way to fix this... apple software update says my video driver is up to date. I tried messing with some basic settings on display settings, but no luck.

Can anyone help me with an explanation for this??

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you fixed the display yourself, its quite possible that you damaged a component, ribbon cable, or something is not tightly seated, i.e., ribbon cable.

Its also possible that the display unit you put in there is defective.

Software will not fix this issue, its a hardware problem.

3. erikparr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess it must be a defective screen, because I reinstalled the old (cracked) screen and it still works fine.

I just dont understand how it could be a defective display if the problem only starts after osx boots. As I mentioned, the startup apple screen displays perfectly. Plus it is an new replacement display.