Display Not Working!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by komsin, May 29, 2011.

1. komsin macrumors newbie

Hi,

I put a DVD inside my macbook pro a few days ago and the screen just went off. When I restarted it, I can see the apple logo light up and the keyboard backlight on, but the screen is just black. But external display does not have any problems. I did a restore of my macbook pro and reinstalled snow leopard. The black screen is still there!

There seems to be no problem with the external display though.. Can someone please help me solve the black screen problem? I took it to the apple customer support and they slapped an $800 quotation on me! I dont want to spend so much money..might as well buy a new one!

Please help me with the problem! thankss!

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

When you completely shut it off (hold power button for approx 5 secs) and turn it back on, do you see the apple logo on the LCD side of the screen? In other words, does it stop working only once OSX starts up or even from the start?

3. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

I think he is saying the Apple "light" on the back of the screen lights up.

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

If the LCD isn't working at all except for the backlight, open the bottom and check the video cable as it may have popped off.

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

What flavor (version) MBP?

Could also be the NVidia GPU of death at work here.

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

YES.. Sounds like the same thing that happened to mine TWICE.. Aug-07 (MBP 3,1 Version) First time was 6-7 months after I got it, apparently SOME of the early fixes weren't that good.. It just happened 3 weeks ago too, and although 3 1/2 years old they repaired for NO Charge again.. Quite happy to say!! :apple:

If you cannot hook up and SEE an External Monitor then it's likely the same issue.. Hope your Apple Folks are as friendly as mine, I'm in Mid-Western Canada.. Good Luck!! :cool:

7. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

It seems that he can see the external monitor fine:

8. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Sees an External Monitor..

Ahhh.. Ooops.. Missed that part!! Well then, NOT likely anything to do with the Bad Video Card/ Logic Board issue.. NEXT,, :confused: