Display on Macbook Pro 3,1 isn't working.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LegendaryHero, May 3, 2012.

1. LegendaryHero macrumors newbie

After resetting both the PRAM and the PMU, the display on my Macbook Pro will not turn on. The DVI port doesn't seem to be sending out a signal either. I have a feeling that the video card died (GeForce 8600M), however it this happened quite suddenly, as everything seemed to be working just fine last night.

Is there anything I may have missed in my efforts to fix this issue or should I just give up all hope and take it to the apple store.

2. parish macrumors 65816

parish

Happened to my MBP3,1 too, although it failed while I was using it; got a pop-up message that the computer needed rebooting and, when I did, just got a block screen and constantly repeating start-up chime :(

My AppleCare had run out about two weeks before :( - but Apple replaced the logic board anyway :D

I posted about it here and several people said that it would be the 8600M chip problem that caused it.

So it looks like a replacement logic board is the only fix.

Do you get the constantly repeating start-up chime?

3. LegendaryHero thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. It seems to start up normally minus the lack of a working display of course. I guess I'll just take it to the apple store and hope for the best. Thanks!

4. parish macrumors 65816

parish

Ah, could be the display then. The repeating chime is an error code that means logic board failure. Since you're not getting that it sounds promising - I'd guess a screen is cheaper than a logic board, although it's strange that the DVI port seems dead as well :confused:

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Probably the GPU. Is it less than 4 years old? If so, you should be able to get that fixed for free, most likely. In my experience, many of those that failed did go out suddenly, it was rare for them to slowly develop problems. I would definitely take it to an Apple Store, but don't give up hope yet. You may not have to shell out any money to get it working again.

jW

6. LegendaryHero thread starter macrumors newbie

It's about 5 years old at this point. Got it in September of 07, so I'm hoping the replacement won't put too much of a dent in my wallet, especially if they can just replace the card itself. I'm more so worried that because the screen won't turn on that they won't be able to run the diagnostics on it and either send me away or charge me extra for repairs I know I don't need.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There's not a separate video card, it's integrated into the Logic Board. Not likely to be a cheap repair, but hopefully they'll help you out.

jW

8. LegendaryHero thread starter macrumors newbie

For them to repair it in the Store was about 492.91, but for them to ship it out it cost about $310...so I just went with that option instead. Not too shabby :D

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yep, sounds like what I've heard. Glad you got it sorted out!

jW