Display on TV via DVI?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dmckleinfeld, Mar 18, 2009.

1. dmckleinfeld macrumors newbie

Hi all! Had a question for y'all about sending video from my computer to my TV---I've done some research, but hoped someone here could tell me if I'm... sane.

First, the setup: I'm using a desktop Mac Pro, a 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, with 4 GB of DDR2 FB-DIMM RAM, and a Radeonx1900 video card, with two DVI outputs. Plugged into it currently are two monitors, a CRT hooked up via a VGA-to-DVI adapter acting as the primary display, and a DVI-connected LCD monitor acting as the secondary display. Next to it is an old Sony Trinitron TV, with a composite (single yellow plug) video input.

So here's my plan... Driven by recession, I'm getting rid of my cable, figuring I can just watch shows on Hulu. But I'd like to keep watching the shows on my TV, as it's better-positioned for viewing with my wife.

So I thought what I could do is:

1. Get a DVI splitter cable, like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...+/+Video+Cables-_-Cables+Unlimited-_-12339004

2. Plug one of the split DVIs into my secondary monitor. Plug a DVI to composite video adapter into the other: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB202G/A?afid=p210|frgl&cid=AOS-US-SHOP-Froogle

3. Run a composite cable from the above adapter to my TV, and continue feeding audio out of my regular computer speakers.

4. And voila, my TV mirrors my second monitor. Then I can bring up Hulu, put the browser screen on my second monitor, click the Fullscreen button on Hulu, and have a lovely fullscreen image displayed on my TV. Should work for YouTube stuff too, should I get the urge.

Does this plan make sense? Or am I ignoring some fatal flaw which will bring my gossamer dreams crashing to earth?

Thanks in advance!
    D

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The DVI splitter got some raving reviews (Crap! Don't Get It.....).

Theoretically your setup seems fine, but the resolution of your TV might be the limiting factor. If the TV is SD (PAL or NTSC), then the maximum resolution would be 768x576 (PAL), if it's HD it might work.

What I would do, is buy another graphics card to attach your TV to.

3. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

The TV is said fatal flaw. Unless it perfectly mirrors the resolution of you secondary monitor (unlikely for an old Trinitron) the picture will get super weird. What is the best connection your TV has? Is it ONLY composite? If it has S-video or even component, that would be worlds better.

And yes, getting a second video card would be good. Maybe get one with just VGA/s-video, etc. In other words, get the minimum card that the Mac Pro will support.

Another, cheaper option, is to manually switch plugs whenever you want to watch TV. Just switch out your secondary monitor with your TV, that way you don't have resolution issues. Not ideal, especially if you are going to be watching a fair amount sans-cable, so maybe the first option is better...

4. dmckleinfeld thread starter macrumors newbie

Display on TV via DVI

Yep, sounds like a second video card is the best choice. To my great sadness, the Mac version of the Radeon 2600 doesn't have s-video out, only the PC version does. Anyone have recommendation for the cheapest Mac Pro compatible video card, since it shouldn't need to be very powerful for this function?