Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacBookPro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
FL
Looking to get a larger monitor to hook up to my 13'' MBP.. I've read and seen a Dell Ultrasharp 24'' for around $375.00 on Amazon.. Can any anyone recommend other options? Looking mainly in the 27'' monitor size that compliments the MBP nicely.. Would like to stay under $400..

Also in order to do clam shell mode i need a keyboard correct?

Thanks

nitromac

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2012
US
A good 27" under $400 is quite a stretch.

I bought a HP 2311xi for $170 on sale (around $230 originally). It's a 23" IPS panel, so viewing angles are great. My only complaint is its uniformity, as it's brighter and a bit bluer on the right half of the display. (Mine isn't defective -- I checked 3 of the same models at best buy, all of them were this way)

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Looking to get a larger monitor to hook up to my 13'' MBP.. I've read and seen a Dell Ultrasharp 24'' for around $375.00 on Amazon.. Can any anyone recommend other options? Looking mainly in the 27'' monitor size that compliments the MBP nicely.. Would like to stay under $400..

Also in order to do clam shell mode i need a keyboard correct?

Thanks

A 27" monitor should be 2560x1440. You'll struggle to find such a thing for under $400, unless you're willing to go for no-name brands with A- quality panels and very few features. You could get a 27" monitor with 1920x1080, but that is only good for gaming whilst sitting away from the desk, unless you like looking at big pixels.

A keyboard does not have to be connected for the MBP to go into clamshell. Only a monitor and power cable need to be connected, but you'll struggle to type without a keyboard. I guess you could use the built -in on screen one with a mouse, but that would be masochistic. Actually, it would be similar to trying to work on a cheap 27" monitor with a 1920x1080 resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.