Display Port Adapter Not Working - 2016 MacBook Pro Touch Bar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaed7, Nov 17, 2016.

1. jaed7 macrumors newbie

I received my shinny new 15" MBP touch bar yesterday.
    Currently I have a dell ultra wide monitor 34" along with a 27" Asus monitor.
    I bought a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter at the Apple Store and can not get the monitor to turn on with the display cable for the life of me.
    HDMI works but I wanted to daisy chain through display port MBP --> Dell Monitor --> Asus Monitor.
    The Apple Store does not have any ideas so I came here.

Any idea's or what cable / adapter would work?

The Apple Store adapter reviews complain about the same issues I am having.
    http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

2. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

i believe that adapter is for only thunderbolt connections, not miniDP

3. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

The docs are a little subtle about it, but yes. That is a Thunderbolt 2 not displayport adapter. They don't seem to make an adapter for displayport as such, but you can get USBC->displayport cables pretty easily.

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

5. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

6. ShadeDream macrumors newbie

ShadeDream

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207266

I'm in the same boat, two dell Ultrasharps using DP for my old Macbook Pro. There are some USB-C to mini-DP adapters on amazon, but they're all sketchy no-name Chinese ones. I instead ordered just a single USB-C to normal DP adapter for the moment, but long term I'll be buying a dock once I can decide on which one (since OS X cant handle dual displays through a USB-C dock due to some DP-MST driver limitation).

7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

U2715

8. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

As I'm not aware of any good USB C to miniDP cables or adapters, I'd suggest using the full size DP connection that's on the monitors. There are some good cable solutions for this from Monoprice/Google. Adapters are a little cheaper than the cables if you don't mind the bulk.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12908

9. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1208734-REG/j5create_jca141_usb_type_c_to_4k.html

It's not minidp, it's full-sized DP, but it works fine with my displayport monitor. I've never actually seen the monitor-end input be minidp, I've just seen minidp->dp cables.

10. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

I have a $20 cablematters from Amazon usb-c to full size display port cable (not adaptor) connecting from my 13TB to Dell 24inch 4k screen. It's been rock solid for 2 days straight. 60hz and all.

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Awesome. Thanks guys. Appreciate the assist on this.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Can't these run off HDMI as well?

13. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

They can ya, but arguably the current HDMI solutions for USB-C are worse than the DisplayPort ones. Hopefully that will change when some HDMI-alternate mode cables start showing up.

14. packeted macrumors newbie

Glad to have found this post - went through 40 minutes with Apple Support and they couldn't identify the problem with my 2016 MacBook Pro TB with Thunderbolt 3->2 dongle and miniDP to DP cable connected to a Dell P2715Q 4k monitor.

Does anyone have a link for the aforementioned cable matters $20 USB-C to DP cable? Sounds like that would be the perfect solution.

Cheers,
    Francis

15. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

Is daisy chaining possible? If I buy a USB-C to Displayport cable and hook it up to my Dell U2415 that is daisy chained to a second U2415, will that work? Or would I have to buy two cables?

16. karbim macrumors regular

It's written on Apple's site that TB3->TB3 adapter is NOT for connecting mini DP displays. You have to buy a specific cable USB C (your MBP, obviously) to DisplayPort (your Dell).

17. Sumsar Rebaf macrumors newbie

Sumsar Rebaf

Reviving this thread with a conundrum in the same category:
    I used to have a MBP 15"(2016 with touch bar) to USB-C/Display Port-adapter to 5m Displayport cable to my Asus P328 monitor.
    Now I have replaced only the computer, to a new MBP 15" (2017 with touch bar). Now for some reason the display doesnt work, even though settings and setup are identical. Tried SMC, PRAM, Safe Mode and every manner of connecting and disconnecting cables.
    All the USB-C ports on the MBP seems to be working, I have no idea what is different (apart from the processors in the new one being Kaby Lake)
    Any ideas??

18. iregret macrumors 6502a

I've got no suggestions for your situation, but I'm glad you revived this thread because I'll be dealing with the same issues as well. I currently have a 2015 15" MacBook Pro that I run 2 Dell 2415 4K monitors out of the 2 thunderbolt 2/mini display ports. I have a 2017 15" MacBook Pro on its way and I really don't know what the best setup would be to replicate what I'm currently using.

Since there are only 4 ports on the new MacBook, I can't really replicate what I'm currently doing. Is the solution to plug in the 2 cables, charger, usb hub and thats it? This wouldn't be so bad if all 4 ports were on the left side. lol. As is, that'd put wires in front of my landscape display.

Is there a dock, thats not $500, out there that will adapt 2 display ports? Seriously, at that price, I'd just figure out an external GPU and hook both of them up that way...

What's the ideal way to connect 2 4K monitors to these new 15" MacBook Pro's?