Display Port to HDMI with audio

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bbplayer5, Apr 7, 2009.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Hello,

I am trying to run my new Macbook Pro as a media center. I ordered a display port to HDMI adapter which should arrive shortly. Will this drive audio through the HDMI? If not, what is the best way to get audio from my Macbook Pro to my home system to play through my speakers?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Why does the title mention DVI?

No: You Mac does not output audio over HDMI.

Depends on what you have to connect to. Either optical or stereo audio out of the audio jack.

3. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

I have 2 of them, a new one and old one. I would assume the new one would be the same problem - getting audio to my speakers. I found a box that lets you plug DVI and audio into it, and it will convert it all to HDMI... Not sure if thats the route I want to go??

4. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

5. macgrl macrumors 65816

I had this problem too, the hdmi doesn't do sound so I got an output for the headphone jack. Works well with my sony tv :)

6. Matek macrumors 6502a

No, by default you won't get sound. You will need to get it from your Mac's audio output. You can do that either by separately plugging it into your TV, if it has audio-in, or by getting a converter that takes video and audio inputs and then packs them in HDMI (you mentioned something like that).