Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Hi,
Just pulled the trigger on a maxed 2017 15inch.. would like to get a Dell monitor and wondering if anyone has a suggestion for connecting the thunderbolt port to display port? Thanks!

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
I'm a stooge, I should have put more time into my post.. damn beers. I'm looking at a 4K monitor and want 60hz.. don't think the HDMI will do that. So thank you leman, the google one supports 4K at 60hz

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I'm a stooge, I should have put more time into my post.. damn beers. I'm looking at a 4K monitor and want 60hz.. don't think the HDMI will do that. So thank you leman, the google one supports 4K at 60hz

There are a few USB-C/HDMI adapters that will do 4K 60 Hz, like the Moshi one I have. Funny enough, the way those work is buy taking a DisplayPort 1.3 alternate-mode signal and then converting it with a chip to an HDMI signal. Generally DisplayPort is better if you’ve got the option for both, but I connect mine to my TV which only has HDMI inputs.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
It seems that Dell monitors (in general) seem to have DisplayPort cable issues. I would suggest first finding out what (if any) DisplayPort cable comes with the monitor and if one does, then find the adapter needed to connect that cable to your MBP (it'll either be USB-C to DisplayPort or USB-C to Mini-DisplayPort) . Take a look in Amazon or in other sites to see if people were able to use the cable/adapter with the Dell model you have.

Interestingly enough, I looked on Dell website at the P2715Q, a monitor that interests me for a possible future purchase and there was no mention of any cables included. But a search of "Dell P2715Q included cables" came up with the B&H website, which says that it included a DisplayPort-to-Mini-Displayport cable. Because the P2715Q has both DisplayPort and Mini-DisplayPort ports, one could get a USBC-DP or USBC-MDP adapter. I think a little research on your end will save possible frustration later.

t3rminus

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2016
The pluggable have mixed reviews in working with the MBP.... at least on Amazon. =)

Hm... I wasn't aware of that. These issues line up with some that I've been having that I attributed to the Mac or GPU drivers (and have had a long and unpleasant relationship with AppleCare over)

I've reached out to their support to see if I can get replacements, but if that's the case, I'm also interested in alternatives.

Reactions: itsamacthing

t3rminus

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2016
I used to connect my Retina MacBook Pro to a monitor via a Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, worked perfectly and at 144Hz. Mini-DP is the same connector as Thunderbolt so that could work for you.

Sorry, the OP has a 2017 MacBook Pro, which has Thunderbolt 3. This uses a USB Type-C connector (not the same as a Thunderbolt 2, Mini-DisplayPort connector). So a direct Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable will NOT work in this case.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Sorry, you could try reading the thread first. The OP has a 2017 MacBook Pro, which has Thunderbolt 3. This uses a USB Type-C connector (not the same as a Thunderbolt 2, Mini-DisplayPort connector). So a direct Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable will NOT work in this case.

Soz dad.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
I'm concerned about the step-downs in technology with all these adapters. MBP supports XYZ, monitor support XYZ but due to adapters, you loose the Z.. it also feels like Display Port and USB-C are at war with each other for the future of monitor connections?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.