display problem - pls help!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yuzheng05, Jan 4, 2011.

1. yuzheng05 macrumors newbie

does anyone know what kind of display problem is this? will it cost me a bomb to fix it? thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. diazj3, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

diazj3 macrumors 6502a

It could be a number of things - most probably the GPU, but diagnosis is necessary. First of all, check that your color and resolution settings havent been tampered with. Have you tried basic troubleshooting, like resetting PRAM and NVRAM, or running the Apple Hardware Test included in your original install disks? If that can't pinpoint the problem, then you'll have to take it to an authorized service provider.

Regarding the cost, it will depend on the problem, your iMac model and the replacement part.

Good luck.

EDIT: ... but the first advice would be to make sure you have an updated and working backup of your files and system, either by Time Machine and/or cloning. If you don't, get an external drive and do it ASAP. I take it you don't have AppleCare support?

3. yuzheng05 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, thanks so much for your help! this problem was intermittent, but lately it has been happening more frequently and for longer periods... i guess i'll have to send it for a diagnosis soon. and yes you're right, i'm out of apple care.. should have bought the extended warranty but it slipped my mind.. :(

4. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

So, have you noticed if it's related to the machine's temperature, or to the CPU/GPU workload?

But seriously- make sure you have an updated backup, run the basic troubleshoot, and run the Apple Hardware Test, or take it to diagnosis.

Something like this happened with my 2007 iMac... it started as a mild intermittent display anomaly, which suddenly quickly deteriorated until it died, taking lots of info with it. If you tend to it soon, it might be a simple problem that doesn’t necessarily need a replacement part - e.g. blocked ventilation/trapped heat.

Cheers and good luck.

5. yuzheng05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sent my iMac for a diagnostic check.. Luckily, it was just a cable problem.. PHEW! I'll be getting it back this weekend, hope the problem is solved.. :)