Display problems--> i5 now, or SSD now and wait for Sandy Bridge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rex3, May 11, 2010.

  1. rex3 macrumors member

    Jul 20, 2009
    I have a 2007 MBP, 15", 2.2 GHz C2D, one of the first with the LED backlight. It's developed several bright lines/spots, where something has clearly gone wrong with the display. It's annoying--much worse than just stuck pixels--but not to the point where I can't use it.

    Before the problem with my display had developed, I'd been thinking about getting a SSD now and waiting until Sandy Bridge came out to upgrade to a new MBP, presumably this time next year. But now, with the display problem, I've been envying the new i5 with high-res 15" screens.

    Is this display problem likely to worsen, making it a smarter move to get the i5 now? Or should I just get my SSD and wait it out? Performance-wise, everything is fine except for Aperture 3 and my 18mp raw files :(

    Here is a photo of the display. You can see the wiggly line at the bottom right of the display, the bright stop up and to the right of that, then another bright spot up more and to the left of the line. It's worse in real life than it looks in the photo.

  2. MikhailT macrumors 601

    Nov 12, 2007
    Am I correct to assume that you don't have warranty or it's expired?

    How are you using the laptop nowadays, is it always on a desk or are you carrying it around? The reason I asked is that you could extend the life of the laptop by using an external monitor and wait it out.

    You also could find a monitor replacement to fix it yourself if you feel like it.

Share This Page