Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayden

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Hey guys. I've had a 2014 Mac Pro with Samsung U28D590 for a few months. One nagging issue is the color display profile. I went through the calibration process in "Settings > Displays > Color > Calibrate..." a number of times until I got it to what I thought was right.

But then when looking at other pre-configured Apple laptop screens, I'm sure the color settings I've set are pretty jacked. I just can't seem to get the contrast right, amongst other things. I can tell because I'm on some websites and I can't see any outlines/borders on forms - it just looks like one big white area.

Any recommendations on how to correctly set up my monitor's display profile would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
There are two things to note here. The first is that Apple's calibrate interface is useless, and you probably adjusted things that shouldn't have been adjusted. Basically even if you use it, use "native" on anything possible. Second they're different displays, so they will not really match. Even if you purchased a colorimeter to make a better profile of each display, they still won't be a perfect match. They may be closer, but it will set you back $180-300. The colorimeters tends to last a few years.

Also contrast and gamma are two of those settings that you never touch. There might be a couple exceptions where display vendors have a decent interface to adjust black levels, but even then it should be considered an absolute last resort. In your case there's no possible way it will be an improvement.

jayden

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Thanks TheKev. Is there a program you recommend to set the display profile? Not sure what to do now!

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
The Spyder4 Express is around 100 euros and has a 23% discount in the EU at the moment. I don't know what the price is like in other territories.

I bought one here in the UK because I was getting problems with brightness in games and found my 27" ACD had a pronounced green cast to it which the Spyder resolved.

jayden

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Thanks DanielCoffey. Looks like I can get one for AUD$125 in Australia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.