Display Question: Extended Desktop vs. Mirroring on Sony LCD TV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by OmegaRed1723, Sep 14, 2009.

1. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

I have a 40" 1080p Sony LCD that I'm trying to connect my Macbook Pro to (DVI to HDMI) to view movies, etc. When I connect the TV and open up the 'Displays' preference pane on the Mac, I am able to select 1080p as the resolution and use it fine as an extended desktop. However, if I select 'mirror display' I get two black bars on the sides of the TV (as opposed to the screen being filled in extended desktop mode). Looking at the Display preferences, I'm still able to select 1080p as the resolution for the Sony LCD, but it says "1440x900 useable resolution" underneath my selection. What's the dealio? Any help would be appreciated.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Mirroring the display means that it will show the same resolution and content as the main display. Extending the desktop means that it will be independent from the main display.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It has to mirror at the same resolution as your Macbook Pro. I'm assuming that is the resolution your Macbook Pro is set to?

4. OmegaRed1723 thread starter macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

Yes, 1440x900 is the max resolution on my 15" MBP. Thanks for clarifying that mirroring the displays is restricted to whatever resolution my computer is.

Is the GeForce 8600 graphics card capable of outputting a resolution higher than this, and, if so, is there software that will allow me to "cheat" and use a higher resolution for mirroring that will fill my TV?