Display recommendations for MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by intrepkid21, Nov 30, 2008.

1. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I bought a 20" Viewsonic with similar specs to the 20" Apple Cinema Display for only $149 on sale at Fry's Electronics. If you compare value, for the average non video or photography professional, the Apple displays are overpriced. I mean, the most of us will not notice a difference for $450 less for the 20" model and savings is even greater for the bigger displays in going the non-Apple route.

I almost dropped $899 on the new LED 24" Apple Cinema Display until I worked through the value of doing such versus buying another display. I know the Apple is bigger and better but when comparing value, $149 was the way to go.

No matter what way you go, if you spend $300 you will be saving yourself a bundle of money used to make holiday season more enjoyable. Best wishes and Happy Holidays.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Umm that's because consumers buy those cheap displays with TN panels. Yuck.

Only the prosumers go for the ACDs.

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I definitely agree. I see the difference. I admit the Apple Cinema Displays are incredible. I darn near bought one. But in the end, I am not a photographer, and it just isn't worth the price premium for ME. I think about 90% of us users will not need the added benefits of a IPS panel... so I will stick with the cheap stuff for a mere fraction of the price.

But I definitely agree, if money is no object, or if I was a photo/video professional, I would spend the extra money for the professional choice.

Plus, turns out the new Apple 24" LED Display may not be an IPS Panel... According to one thread I read here on MacRumors.

5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

The 24" is marketed as a 'consumer' monitor by Apple. Why would it need an IPS panel?

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Well, I would definitely say IT IS PRICED AS A PRO PRODUCT!

7. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew