Display reflection in MBA 2013 vs. 2011/2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kafka0815, Jun 23, 2013.

1. kafka0815 macrumors newbie

The display in my MBA 13' 2013 is fully glossy and uncomfortably mirroring in comparison to the at least partly anti-glare display in my 13' MBA 2011. This has also been mentioned in a recent German Review.

For me this is a remarkable difference which I find so distracting that I will probably return the 2013 MBA...

What are your experiences in comparison to the 2011 and 2012 version?

Thank you in advance.

2. kafka0815 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, but in my opinion this seemed to be a different aspect independent from display manufacturer, calibration or single display issues...

3. sparkie7, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013

sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Say what? Is the 2013 display more glossy than previous?

I thought they were still partly anti-glare. Is the coating different and more reflective?

Can you post a pic/comparison. And do you have a link to the German review?

4. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

People who start new threads always think their topic is special.

5. sparkie7, Jun 23, 2013

sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Notable points..

The AR coating is less than previous models, but enough sunlight still being able to recognize the screen.

The previous model still offered a better contrast: The MacBook Air in 2013 achieved a contrast ratio of 582:1, 759:1 the old model.

An update of a 2011-2012er or model of the MacBook Air is worth only for users who need a longer battery life. For everyone else, the new MacBook Air would be a significant step backwards in terms of processing and partially also the screen. :eek:

I'm actually surprised this hasn't been discussed more. This German review seems more in-depth than others. Which can only be a good thing.

6. kafka0815 thread starter macrumors newbie

It would be interesting if there have really been changes in the coating strategy (as well as in the manufacturing of the aluminum body as suspected in the review).

On the other hand, the internal speakers of my 2013 MBA are remarkably louder and have significant more richness and bass than my 2013 MBA.

So how about your (personal) findings?

7. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I missed what they said abiout the Alu body -- what was it?

You have 2013 on both. Typo?

8. kafka0815, Jun 23, 2013

kafka0815 thread starter macrumors newbie

In the review, Their 13-inch test-MBA seemed to have a less stable aluminum-body - they are suspecting, that the body might perhaps be thinner than the 2011 and 2012 series because of the greater battery.

www.notebookjournal.de/tests/apple-macbook-air-13--md760d-a--2028/1
    www.notebookjournal.de/tests/apple-macbook-air-13--md760d-a--2028/5

Internal speakers - sorry, yes, typo - internal speakers in my 2013 are significantly better than in my 2011 13' MBA.

9. Hackney macrumors newbie

"Die Base-Unit steht beim frisch ausgepackten Gerät nicht ganz plan auf dem Tisch und kippelt. Mit viel Kraftaufwand lässt sich die Base-Unit „zurechtbiegen“. Die alten MacBook-Air-Modelle zeigen diese Schwächen nicht und sind eindeutig solider."

Seems like the main body on the test machine wasn't entirely straight - it wobbled slightly when sat on the table. You could also 'bend it back', something that apparently wasn't possible on last year's model. The older models were more 'solid'.

If this is true it seems a bit like the IKEA disease. Every year the wood/metal/whatever material gets thinner and thinner, whilst the price stays the same. A piece of furniture bought 10 years ago is much more solid than the same piece bought now/this year.

10. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

ok, thanks

ok, danke.

it is a MacBook Air, like  says. Thinner and lighter LOL! But don't mention at the same time, Weaker and flimsier! :eek::rolleyes:

11. mattferg macrumors 6502

My screen's got exactly the same LG model number as they put in last year's... so I doubt it's any different.

----------

Err what? Processing a step backwards? As for CPU processing it's pretty much on par, and GPU is miles ahead. The screen is the same model as in last year's airs.

12. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Whereas the benchmarks and pictures showing temperature and brightness are quite correct, the text is not. In almost every section there are horrible mistakes and serious errors. Everywhere I get the feeling that a bloody amateur wrote the sections. A 14 year old nerdy kid can write better reviews. For example, the different measurable brightness of the display is depending on the panel and color profile. The reviewer is obviously comparing two different panels.

I'm sensitive to reflection of the display too. There are, however, some anti-glare screen protectors that are decent and even work with Retina displays without much downsides. On Monday or Tuesday I'll order a 2013 model and can compare it to the 2012 model.

13. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

Interesting. The screen on my 13 inch 2013 Air is actually better than the 2012 Air I was using early last year. And downgrading from the rMBP 15 inch is actually not that bad. It isn't laggy at all.

14. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

MacBook Air displays have never been great. That's the price of thinness and, well, low relative price.

Haswell does offer better batter life but not at the expense of performance. It is 3-8% faster and certainly no slower. Did you read Macworld's reviews?

15. sbl macrumors newbie

I also very care about the display reflection because it causes eye strain. It seems that different MBA's could have different levels of glare. I did some comparison of reflection of several MBA's. There was some interesting observation which I couldn't explain (The difference of display reflection from different MBA's was similar to the photo in kafka0815's link). I posted the comparison at:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16502248&postcount=4

I haven't seen any MBA 2013 yet, but I will check out the display reflection of MBA2013 next time I go to Best Buy.

16. kafka0815, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

very interesting and helpful for me, I have two of the LG-displays that you compared and my findings are completely in line with yours

the less reflective whith purple reflections and only vague reflections in any position (like in the picture on page 2 of the review I posted and nearly comparable to your photo regarding the link in your posted comment...:
    my 2011 13" MBA with LP133WP1-TJA3-display

the significant more reflective (in my view fully glossy like a mirror) with bright and sharp reflections like in the glossy MBP, ipad or iphone displays:
    the new 2013 13" MBA:LP133WP1-TJA7-display

I have attached a indoor-pic in the 'light-off'-mode with a window in the back for comparison (left side: MBA 2013, right side: MBA 2011), so you can see the differences as well as in the colour-reflections as in the sharpness of clouds and trees of the garden behind...

for me it's a distracting difference by using the MBA indoor (it's my desktop replacement) in full-light mode by browsing the web, looking photos or movies, etc.

I'm interested in your comments and your personal findings if you have a 2013 and a 2012/2011 MBA for direct comparison.

Attached Files:

17. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

What is with that purple on the right screen? Goes away when you look directly at it right?

So my understanding is you prefer the purple screen b/c of LESS reflection, right?

18. kafka0815, Jun 24, 2013

For me my 'purple' reflecting 2011 MBA screen is very comfortable because of significant less reflection - the purple can only be seen in the 'light-off' mode with (day-)light in your back and if your eyes are focusing on the mirroring layer. The purple is independent from the viewing ankle if you have a window in the back or in an outdoor setting, so it also can be seen directly in front of it (in the black sections where the light falls in, that are not covered by the body, etc.)

The 'purple view' seems to refer to anti-reflective coating as stated in the review I posted, but there also seem other kind of coatings not producing purple reflections as I have read).

I wouldn't have bought my 2011 MBA when it had been fully glossy - therefore, in 2011, I have made comparisons in the store with the MBP with matte and glossy screens and my 2011 MBA which was a comfortable 'in-between' compromise for me (and never really distracting in my indoor home-setting, I also had a matte MBP because of these reasons).

In contrast to my 2011 MBA, which I can use in every indoor situation, for me, my 2013 model MBA is still distracting even when reading in full-light mode on white backround when there is some reflecting light in the backround or when looking movies where you see yourself in the black sections. This is not the case in my 2011 model, where these reflections are not sharp so that my eyes respective the suppression mode of my brain don't mention them. By the way, I have no problems with my eyes and have no glasses...

19. sbl macrumors newbie

Very interesting but frustrating situation...

The reflective glossy display caused not only my eye strain but also significant distraction. I tested the MBA late 2012 with more reflective display and I really don't like it. I also tested MBPR which Apple claimed much less reflective than glossy MBP but I think it was still much more reflective than my 2011 MBA.

Based on my current comparison of several MBA's, I guess Apple might change the anti-reflective coating of MBA since late 2012. I hope my guess is wrong. If all MBA won't have the old less reflective display from now on, I think I won't buy MBA anymore.

20. kafka0815, Jun 24, 2013

I've also tested the rMBP 15' with similar personal findings to yours (too reflective for me and in comparison to my 2011 MBA).

Within this week I will go to an Apple store near me and compare my findings with the displays of their new MBA's and post them.

21. sbl, Jun 24, 2013

sbl macrumors newbie

I guess the purple is anti-reflective coating. I wouldn't notice the purple color when using the MBA. I only saw the purple when the backlight was extremely low and there was a light source in front of the display.

ipad and classic non-matte MBP have glossy displays which are very reflective. These displays are like mirrors, you can see the reflection of you face with skin color or strong light sources with clear shape. Some people install anti-glare screen protector to overcome the reflection, but in my experience almost all anti-glare screen protector will decrease the crisp of the original display.

22. Verix macrumors regular

Nice. Interested in your findings.

Either way, why would apple step back from the anti-reflective coating? cut down costs? :apple:-:(

23. kafka0815, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

So, I've been in the Apple Store near me - here are my personal findings when viewing all of the MBA and some of the MBP(r) displays:

In the 2013 MBA's I viewed they had both Samsung and LG panels installed (the LG panels in the 2013 13' MBA's had the same number as in my new 13' MBA). I also looked for the MBPr-series in the same light-off-mode from different viewing angles, holding the display into the artificial ceiling light as well as browsing the same websites and looking the same iTunes-movies with letter-boxing in a full-light mode.

For me, all displays of the ten 13' and 11' MBA's I examined had the identical reflective properties like my new MBA 13' and seemed to be totally homogenous in this way.

Also, in my unprofessional view, they were reflecting in the same way as the 13' and 15' MBPr-series and I couldn't see any purple, blue, green or gold coloring like in typical lens coating coloring effects in any of the MBA's or MBP's I viewed in the Apple Store as in my 'purple' MBA from 2011.

Again, these are my personal and subjective observations as a consumer - yours might be different. I was wondering and have been irritated, that I couldn't see any difference in the reflective properties from the MBA to the MBP series without the extra glass covering...