Display Replace

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DIY101, Feb 11, 2008.

  1. DIY101 macrumors newbie

    Dec 3, 2007
    I have a 800MHz G4 with a cracked 17" flat panel display. There is a 17" display available from a 1.25 GHz machine. The seller says he thinks it needs a inverter.
    Can I use the inverter from my cracked display? Where is it located and how is it identified?
    The 800 MHz machine says it provides 32 MB of VRAM for the display, the 1.25 GHz machine says it provides 64 MB of VRAM. Does this mean these two displays are not exchangable?

    I have R. and R.'d these screens with success before so I am up to the mechanical challenge. I just don't know about the compatibility and inverter identification.

    Thank you.
  2. ale500 macrumors regular

    Jul 9, 2007
    Using another panel may not be so simple. First, both should be the same model: have the same connector and power requirements (i.e. same model). It needs an inverter for the back light, both have, both need no problem. Find out first if the connector is the same (look around for disassembly photos, replace part numbers, and so on).
  3. Leon Kowalski macrumors 6502a

    Leon Kowalski

    Sep 20, 2007
    Gondwanaland Reunification Front HQ
    The VRAM difference shouldn't cause a problem. VRAM is
    part of the graphics processor, not the LCD panel.

    Hard to say whether the inverters are interchangeable. In
    general, they're not -- different panels may have different
    numbers and types of CCFL tubes. Also, some panels have
    integrated inverters, some use separate external inverters.


Share This Page