Display / Response Lag in ultimate rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by g-boac, Jun 21, 2012.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

Question - I had the opportunity to test out a few Retina MBPs at my local Apple store, and was surprised at how "laggy" and "jittery" the responsiveness was of Mission Control, spaces switching, and Safari window resizing. In comparison, the MBAs located right next to the rMPBs worked smoothly and fluidly, as you would expect. And this was with only a reasonably minimal set of programs open: Safari, Mail, iTunes, and iPhoto.

This issue has been written about in a couple other threads on here. I wanted to ask, for those here who've ordered "ultimate" rMBPs, with the 2.6 or 2.7GHz processors and 16GB RAM, can you comment as to the responsiveness or "lagginess" of your MBP as I described above?

The store demo units are 2.3 GHz/8GB, and I'm wondering whether it's just the base hardware that has a hard time keeping up with the software/graphics demands, or whether an ultimate unit would be comparably overwhelmed.

While the display is indeed gorgeous - if the ultimate units exhibit the same performance lag on Day One out of the box as the base units do, I'd be disappointed with my purchase.

2. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Mine is perfectly smooth but I'm currently running ML, so there might be a difference. The only lag I can notice is the window changing animations in System Preferences.
    I'm not able to compare it with Lion because my laptop came without an OS installed for some reason...

I have a 2.6/16.

3. craigy2302 macrumors member

I have had my RMBP for nearly 7 hours now, and I can honestly say that I have had a bit of "scroll lag" on a few pages in Safari. But the animations into and out of Mission Control and Expose appear to be smooth and crisp for me.

I can not believe how crisp the screen is! I have my display set on the option between "Best for Retina" and "More Space", mainly because I come from a High-Res 15" MBP. Also, it might be worth noting that I have not yet rebooted from installing the updates that were waiting for download when I turned it on, not sure if that has affected my experience.

Despite the minor issues with Safari, I am really pleased with my RMPB :)

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

However it may be there should be absolutely not difference between a base RMBP and a maxed out one.
    The GPUs are the same and the VRAM is. That is all that matters for the animations.
    Browser scrolling still requires some CPU but nobody could possibly notice a difference between the CPU.
    If the base suck in that respect the ultimate does too.

HD 4000 and 650M are the same, VRAM is the same. Especially the 650M should be easily fast enough. Don't forget with AMD Eyefinity much higher res, ran well for a while now even in 3D. Those are desktop GPUs but than again they are much older.
    Might be the new Kepler Nvidia drivers aren't quite so nice and the HD 4000 drivers still need tweaking. If ML runs better it might just require some more code.
    Pure computation power should be more than enough. Maybe the animation is coded poorly.
    On my old 330M 256MB the exposé animation sucks with too many Windows when I add VMWare. Maybe they need to optimize a little to make more efficient use of VRAM if they aren't willing to just throw in 2GB.