Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcbickers

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Katy, TX
Greetings everyone!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, so please accept my apologies if so.

I just purchased a M1 Max Mac Studio to replace my 2018 Core i5 MBP. I have been using my MBP with a Caldigit TB3 dock to connect an external 27" 1440p monitor (Dell U2717D) and a few peripherals (mechanical keyboard, Logitech MX Master, Plantronics headset, backup drive). With the new Mac Studio, I would like to add a second monitor and get better picture quality if possible, so I am considering buying two 27" 4k screens vs adding additional 27" 1440p.

I have read a bunch of threads here and from several Google searches, but I can't seem to find a clear answer or I find conflicting threads. Which would look better or be easier on the eyes: a 4k screen scaled to 1080p (in MacOS) or native 1440p?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Native is always better. The issue is macOS's subpixel antialiasing. Apple removed or altered that, so any display under 4k will not look as sharp.

So if you buy a 4k display and then scale it down to 1080p, the text will look bigger but not sharp. If you use your 1440p monitor, text will not look at sharp. I suspect that the 1440p will look better but I can't say for sure.

My suggestion is to use the 1440p monitor, see how it works, and then make a determination if you want to keep it or upgrade it

Reactions: bcbickers

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Interesting article about Mac display scaling...

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Native is always better. The issue is macOS's subpixel antialiasing. Apple removed or altered that, so any display under 4k will not look as sharp.

So if you buy a 4k display and then scale it down to 1080p, the text will look bigger but not sharp. If you use your 1440p monitor, text will not look at sharp. I suspect that the 1440p will look better but I can't say for sure.

My suggestion is to use the 1440p monitor, see how it works, and then make a determination if you want to keep it or upgrade it
If the display is 3840x2160 then 1080 will be the native HiDPI resolution. It will be relatively big but very clear. The 2560x1440 mode will be a more reasonable size but a little more blurry. It will probably be fine depending on your tolerance and eye distance from the display.

bcbickers

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Katy, TX
Interesting read about the Mac and display scaling. PPI seems to be the key. And unfortunately, my budget does not allow for Studio displays. The machine should be here today or tomorrow, so I'll connect my existing 1440p and go from there. Thanks for all of the info and advice. :)

bcbickers

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Katy, TX
Thought I would post an update. First, this Mac Studio is really good. Thanks, Costco, for the great deal. But I digress...

As far as the monitor goes, 1440p native looks just fine and crisp, if a little small for my aging eyes. Seating distance is about 30", so I had to set most apps to 125% zoom. Otherwise, it's good at 1440p. Now I just need to figure out why the colors are a little flat. Time to dig into color tuning and ICC profiles. :)

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.